Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

Fixed that for you :grin:

Seems like a tenuous link that makes banks life a teeny tiny bit easier but at the cost of customers having to provide ever more (intrusive) information. Iā€™m sure a bank knowing which offices I plan to visit on which days is somehow helpful to them in a similarly tenuous and obscure way - but theyā€™ve all managed to keep my money safe so far without knowing that nugget of information :man_shrugging:t3:

Respectfully, banks know more than enough about us already. If theyā€™re going to ask for more and more intrusive information for their own reasons (because letā€™s not kid ourselves banks are benevolent entities looking out for us - theyā€™re for profit with their own agendas) under the guise of keeping customer money safe maybe they shouldnā€™t be in the banking business.

1 Like

Except they all do? Not sure when you last opened a bank account but every single one I interacted with in the last year took it as an opportunity to ask the exact same questions about industry and level within company. Itā€™s probably standard across the board these days, and if you hold an account from before this became practice, expect those banks to approach you in due course

3 Likes

Agreed itā€™s a very common practice.

I never understood why they asked, though I guess it makes sense to some extent.

I always hate it though, since the options are often not really suitable for what I do. What does ā€œprofessionalā€ mean, for example? Iā€™m not in clerical work exactly, and I can be a grade above and not be management or I could become a level of management at my current level. If banks are making decisions on what I say I am vs what comes in then that concerns me!

3 Likes

Itā€™s all so vague too.

Charity
Customer Services
Between Ā£20k and Ā£50k

What have you gained really?

4 Likes

Judging from the screenshots @j06 posted Monzo arenā€™t asking it, so Iā€™d challenge if that particular question really is standard.

Edit - and yes I have opened an account in the last year with a bank I had no prior relationship with and they didnā€™t ask any questions related to company hierarchy.

Just checking the joint account, last month had all merchant information on the bills, this month has none :man_shrugging:t3::joy:

2 Likes

Iā€™m seeing a lot more Starling teal and green debit cards out in the wild these days, and from a wide range of demographics it would seem.

My parents in their seventies have said they would switch from NatWest, if Starling had an overdraft on their joint account.

1 Like

What impact would the womenā€™s Euros have on the numbers with Starling being a sponsor and England obviously winning?

I think the one thing that I do think Starling has done but could have easily not is included ā€œbankā€ in their name. It is a small and boring thing, but it makes it immediately obvious to everyone what they are. I think with Chase sponsoring the Commonwealth games, if you werenā€™t sure what they were beforehand, you probably wouldnā€™t really notice them very much.

1 Like

I have a feeling itā€™s because Starling is known by name as Starling Bank, whereas Chase is known as Chase, not Chase Bank.

:man_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

I do know that. I think you could have worked out that I wasnā€™t asking for an explanation as to why Starlingā€™s adverts had ā€œStarling Bankā€ and Chaseā€™s had ā€œChaseā€, especially when you consider the fact I already said that their name was Starling Bank. No need to be so patrionising.

I was referring to when they launched, they could do what a lot of banks do and just not have ā€œbankā€ in their branding e.g. Monzo, yet they decided to include bank which immediately makes it obvious what it is to new customers. Yes, it is a very boring observation but I do wonder what the impact of it would be.

Starling Bank supports women footballers of tomorrow (ffnews.com)

Tiny. They werenā€™t one of the headline sponsors and the adverts around the grounds were minimal.

2 Likes

No need to be defensive, it wasnā€™t aimed to be patronising, was merely stating a fact I felt you missed but itā€™s cool.

Chill.

3 Likes

Isnā€™t it good branding then?

3 Likes

Yes, never said it wasnā€™t. I think the best brands are ones where you can immediately tell what the product actually is (not saying banks without ā€œbankā€ in their name are bad brands, just means they have to work in other areas of marketing to push what they are).

yeah, Iā€™ve got the programme here from the final (what a night to go to Wembley!) and Starling had a half page ad at the back.

Very little Starling branding at Wembley, and on the pitchside LEDs, itā€™s how they activated it elsewhere, but that seems minor compared say to a UEFA top tier partner, or even what Lego and Pandora did.

1 Like

Has this been discussed? You can hide your balance now

My 12p must be protected from prying eyes!

5 Likes

How do you activate it? Donā€™t think I have this option.

screams in parity

Not in android.

5 Likes

Press and hold on your balance, on iOS at least, doesnā€™t seem to be on android, according to Carlo

3 Likes