Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

At some point you will have, and not even realised. Just remove it you’ll be fine with that. You could message support to see if they have any more info on the event which took place to add it on.

Just messaged them now.

1 Like

Apparently going off the date it was added to my account it seems to be because I paid into my Vanguard account with my Starling debit card.

Merchants that use TrueLayer will automatically add it to your marketplace if you use them with Starling.

That’s what CS is telling me on live chat anyway. :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

So, sounds like it’s Vanguard using it to avoid card processing fees.

If someone has Vanguard on Monzo, it’ll be interesting to know if the same happens there?

1 Like

Incidentally, it also sounds like you messaged CS at 9pm on Saturday night over a bank holiday weekend and you got a fairly accurate answer within 20 mins?

That’s pretty good going - especially as there’s been lots of horror stories about Starling’s CS taking hours to respond?

7 Likes

They answered me within 2-3 minutes, I was shocked myself. :joy:

I’ll let you know re: Monzo and Vanguard as I have recently moved my main banking back to Monzo so will be paying into Vanguard next month.

1 Like

I’m not! People expect/assume banks to be closed. Times like this are always the quietest!

If there’s anyone you need to call that typically have long wait times and are open now or tomorrow, now is the time to make those calls!

1 Like

I’ve only ever paid into Vanguard with a debit card. Freetrade and InvestEngine use TrueLayer for open banking payments, though.

Hmm, just noticed that I’ve had TrueLayer connected to my Starling account, too. The only thing I can think of is when I bought crypto last year via Kraken.

This will not have happened just by using a debit card.

If you’ve used something like Freetrade or T212 they use open banking to transfer money immediately. But it’s a different flow to a debit card and you’d be asked to authenticate through your banking app.

1 Like

How could I forget, I made a Freetrade account on the same day! You have to deposit £1 minimum to set it up.

It’s obviously that then, not Vanguard as Starling assumed.

To be fair I deposited into Vanguard and Freetrade on that same day.

4 Likes

Mystery solved :rofl:

2 Likes

… Or the CS person is a super geek/nerd with no life to work on bank holiday out of hours, hence the accurate responses based on day’s history “someone you paid was Openbanking payment” (turns out free trade, instead of vanguard, but close enough).

Could just be scheduled to work those hours :eyes:

4 Likes

Starling now worth around £2.5bn.

1 Like

Have they done their annual report yet? Unless I’ve missed both Monzo and starling :sweat_smile:

Starling have finally got round to adding their own logo to merchant information

10 Likes

Another award for Starling & Anne, too:

“But the big winner on the night was Starling Bank, which took home bank of the year as well as seeing its CEO Anne Boden win the coveted personality of the year award.”

2 Likes

I’m impressed they found a personality to award!

4 Likes

Makes me wonder how she wins these awards.

The app is so basic, more so than Santander.

Is it aimed toward business accounts, is their functionality better than personal accounts?

I’d like to see more from Starling, and to remove the circle home page thing, or at least have an option as it doesn’t really tell me anything except I spent £100 on carrots this month.

3 Likes

And I just realised a guy in my uni class is the editor of CityAM… and I just spilled coffee on myself. So that’s that.

7 Likes