Sky Glass and Sky Stream

I was probably being a bit dramatic, but I do think it looks cleaner not having it there. But that is the price of having the tv nice and slim on the wall.

1 Like

Thatā€™d be nice. Weā€™re up to 75% - most of which isnā€™t mine of course :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Ah, the old delete some content family debate

2 Likes

Yepā€¦ā€¦been there - knackered that :flushed:

2 Likes

Haha ours is similar.

It also doesnā€™t help if our toddler grabs the remote and accidentally series links ā€˜friendsā€™ or something thatā€™s back to back episodes all day :laughing:

Although suddenly losing it all including all of your series links and everything is not good. Trying to remember what things you had on your planner, what day and time programs are on and then finding old episodes (if theyā€™re still available) to re-download is a huge task.

1 Like

Well, at least you know: Theyā€™ll be there for you

3 Likes

This is the biggest negative of Sky Q for me, I absolutely love Sky Q but this is a big miss, weā€™ve had a total of 3 main boxes since we got Sky Q due to issues and losing all the series links is a massive pain in the a***. Iā€™m not bothered so much by the recordings as itā€™s mainy my fiancee that uses the TV a lot more than me itā€™s just 2tb of her awful television I canā€™t stand but to miss out on new seasons of stuff not recording because you didnā€™t realise the series link was on the old box is just annoying. It feels like such a simple issue to solve as well. Iā€™m sure writing a script that writes all your series link data to a json file thats stored on your account isnā€™t a complicated task. I have a friend who works for Sky and writes the Sky Q software but heā€™s incredibly secretive and wonā€™t go in to the details of the behind the scenes at all. He just says they might do it one day.

2 Likes

Exactly. As you said it just needs table in a database connected to your account.

SE7E1 Stranger Things. Series linked Y/N
SE1E2 Greys Anatomy. Series linked Y/N

Then the option to restore, which would download everything from their master ā€˜on demandā€™ library.

Have the list sync everyday at midnight or something as well as the option to sync now and that should be it.

1 Like

Itā€™s not missing series links that drive me potty, itā€™s the opposite. Trying to delete series links for shows that have finished, only to find they keep reappearing.

Other series link annoyance - I record the 2am showing of a big new Sky show because I already have clashing recordings for the main 9pm showing; the series link sets the 9pm repeat to record instead of the next 2am episode, and one of my other recordings is missed (clashed) if I donā€™t notice the error ahead of time.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve not had the deleted ones reappearing issue. And I think I can record 6 things at once (option in settings if you disable mini view) so never hit that issue

I do however have an issue currently with Gold Rush and Billions where it records a 2am showing and also records the normal 9pm showing a few days later.

So I always have 2 of the same episode.

All first world problems of course haha :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I really would have thought that more people would have gone for a box that connected to broadband for Sky rather than a TV :man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had that, every time Iā€™ve had that for some reason itā€™s normally set two different series links, try removing the 2am one and the other one will still be there if you find it on the scheduled tab :slight_smile:

I recall trying that and if I remove the series link neither record. Iā€™ll give it another go though :crossed_fingers:

Iā€™ve always opted for TVs with a solid sound system built into the set itself. I like that level of simplicity, and wouldnā€™t want to change. Least of all because my pet robot lives on the desk underneath the living room TV, and a sound bar would take up his territory.

Sky Glass feels like it may be the TV Iā€™ve been waiting for Apple to build, and assuming hardware quality is there, itā€™s a potential upgrade candidate for my older Loewe TVs. Still living in 1080p Dolby Digital here, which is just fine for me.

I agree that it definitely ā€˜feelsā€™ Apple. Particularly this ā€˜Playlistā€™ concept of bringing together all content from different providers (e.g. if a series is spread across Netflix, Prime, Sky it will bring that under the one show name and let you navigate in the same interface) - feels like what Apple have been trying to achieve with the TV app

I think Iā€™ve decided it is not a replacement for my LG OLED but I will buy the small one for a spare room, and use the ā€˜stream puckā€™ on the main TV

37" 1080p stereo here but it works for me. Iā€™m tempted by Sky Glass but Iā€™m going to wait until this one conks out first.

1 Like

Really? Theyā€™ve bolted a soundbar into a mid range TV, put it all in one huge case and then added some software thatā€™s not too distant from streaming sticks that have existed for years.

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s a bad mid range TV option at all, but I donā€™t feel Apple would be responsible for this kind of product :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I mean in terms of them going for a fully integrated product - stripping out the extra boxes and complexityā€¦ maybe the execution isnā€™t fully Apple (we will have to see) but the intention is there

4 Likes

In the comparison between NowTV and Sky Glass, with Now TV you donā€™t get all the Sky channels.

You generally get the specific ā€˜Skyā€™ channels (Sky Atlantic, Sky Max, Sky Witness etc.) and a few others from other providers (National Geographic, Syfy, Gold, Comedy Central) but thatā€™s it - 14 entertainment channels in total.

You can watch live TV through it, as well as catchup though.

I believe the SkyGo app that you can get your tablets and phones does actually cover all channels broadcast by Sky although you canā€™t buy that separately - only as part of a Sky TV sub.

I think Sky may have painted themselves into a bit of a corner with NowTV though - why pay Ā£26 a month minimum for Sky TV Entertainment when thereā€™s a lot of channels youā€™re probably not interested in, when you can get the best of Sky TV with Now TV for Ā£10 a month?

Youā€™ve also got to wonder slightly as more TV broadcasters release their own (paid for) apps, how happy are they going to be with Sky re-streaming their channels (Discovery+ for example?). Could you eventually because that some channels are not available on Sky Glass anyway compared to Satellite TV?

1 Like

Key thing to remember with NOW TV is the limited resolution - only available in 1080p and even then only with a specific add on. With Sky Glass, you get 4K HDR. I suspect Glass becomes a more premium offering, with NOW TV at the low end of the market for day passes etc