Round up bug?

Establishing significance matters because there isn’t an endless pot of resources and time to spend developing every potential feature.

4 Likes

You’d still have a non-whole balance for potentially a few days while waiting for the transaction to be settled, if you were unaware of this feature you might manually move over the extra pence in the meantime to ‘whole’ your balance, then the coin pot transfer would come through seemingly out of the blue and make your balance not whole again and you’d be annoyed. At least with the current set up a round up happens when you expect it to and for an amount that is at least accurate at the time of authorization.

1 Like

It seems that you are after a separate feature more like “hide non whole pound balances” or “move pence to pots”. It’s similar to round ups but materially different.

Why are pence any more annoying than any other arbitrary rounding?

Exactly. And in this case (and many others) there is negligible (if any any) difference. This is especially true compared to the work they have already done for a pretty insignificant feature.

So if you’re not fussed about having an exact whole pound balance, in what way does a few pence discrepancy in a round up amount frustrate/inconvenience you?

It doesn’t and I’ve never suggested otherwise.

1 Like

I think @Lewis_P got me mixed up with you. My bad for hijacking a help thread as you just wanted to know if its a bug, whilst it annoys me.

Yep it would be showing the exact amount on the original and no coins are moved so there would be a short period whilst it’s not rounded overall.

The only way I could see is to double take to correct it.

So all I’m saying is I would prefer to see this:

03 / 01 / 2020 Coin pot transfer £0.22
02 / 01/ 2020 Example £4.00
01 / 01/ 2020 Foreign £4.22 ($5.56)
01 / 01/ 2020 Example £3.00

than this we currently have:

01 / 01/ 2020 Foreign £5.01 ($5.56)

and you click on the £5.01 to find.

£4.22

£0.79 coin pot :exploding_head:

This 1p could be done automatically as another solution after it’s known what it actually was to keep things peachy.

03 / 01 / 2020 Coin pot transfer £0.01
01 / 01/ 2020 Foreign £5.01 ($5.56)

I don’t feel Monzo should prioritise fixing this over their other development plans.

I personally don’t see what the fuss is about. We’re talking small amounts that in any event will be less than a pound on each occasion. However, we’re all different, with different needs (and irritation thresholds). @simonb, would it be worth adding a line or two into the Ts&Cs for the feature, so customer expectations are set, and those sensitive to such matters can use that information to inform the decision of whether or not to switch it on?

And in the event this issue would trouble anyone else, at least Monzo would be covered from a compliance perspective.

I don’t think anyone has said that.

It does seem inconsistent with their stated objectives to have implemented it this way to start with.

Starling has the same behaviour and it confused me the first time I saw it. However, I completely understand the rationale behind doing the round up at the time of the transaction and not when it is settled. I don’t see it as a bug, just something to be aware of with foreign transactions.

1 Like

After the explanation, it isn’t necessarily a bug.

However the decision to not give users details within the transaction is baffling especially in light of the explanation about empowerment. And this is not the first time they’ve gone directly against their claims.

1 Like

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: How much in information should be presented to the user in the Monzo app?

I’ve moved a bunch of replies (including mine, mea culpa) to a new topic. Let’s use that to discuss how much information or data should be exposed to the user.

Let’s keep this thread on topic about what has turned out not to be a roundup bug. :+1: