Revolut chat

For the “How do you use Revolut”

My Revolut account is (was) used primarily for FX.
We have done quite well with their exchange rates in the past.

1 Like

As in you’re just converting money and hoping that when it comes back you’ll make some money on a favourable exchange rate?

1 Like

Or buying holiday cash at good rates :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Is there a tangible benefit to doing that over just paying with my Monzo card?

2 Likes

You’re just guaranteed the exchange rate you buy at instead of chancing it

2 Likes

If the trip is planned in advance, you can very often take advantage of seasonal variations.
Never going to make a fortune, but every little helps :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

When I used them I found that Revolut had a narrower buy/sell spread than Mastercard. My estimate back then was that Mastercard had a “hidden fee” of around 0.5% for major currency pairs, whereas Revolut’s was closer to 0.1% or less. This may have changed in the past 2-3 years :no_mouth:

EDIT: just to add, this is by no means a simple “Revolut wins” situation because of their weekend surcharge.

1 Like

I use mine for general spending and never have any issues, same as Monzo or Starling.

2 Likes

I use Revolut to max out my cashback credit card…

1 Like

How does that work? Surely they’d charge you a cash advance fee?

Or best case scenario boot you off as soon as they find out about manufactured spend

1 Like

I was going to ask the same lol

They updated the merchant code, so most cards now charge it as cash. A few survive though.

As long as you’re actually buying goods or at least triggering interchange, they don’t seem to care.

All the money going into the account has been straight off the credit card for at least a year.

All my usage recently has just been the following:

Top up Tesco Clubcard Pay (stack cashback with double clubcard points)
Add money to Chip (stack cashback with interest)
Buy egift cards (stack cashback with gift card discounts on perks at work)
Add money to revolut vaults (stack cashback with the pathetic interest)
Withdraw cash
Top up Monese
Buy currency

Edit: I’m reaching the cashback limit on the card, so this will all soon stop!

2 Likes

Any ideas which ones?

1 Like

My aqua rewards (no longer available) has been the only card I’ve needed, so I haven’t kept up with any others.

I recall that Tesco is a big no-no. Sainsbury’s used to work - may have changed. I can’t say, other than my aqua rewards

And, tbh, it’s only worth it for me for cash flow. Naturally, in combo with 0% balance transfers and a 0% purchase card for actual spending… All bundled into low repayments for most of the year, then pay off or roll over before the due dates

2 Likes

I should maybe also mention (for anyone from Revolut :wink:) that I always trigger auto topups. Topping up manually in the past triggered queries. I suppose from an AML perspective, auto topups that maybe leave cash in there for days, plus a healthy Vaults balance, doesn’t exactly scream “laundering”. Plus, the accounts the transfers are going to have been set up for a long time now and are all in my name. Aqua auto rejects rapid successive topups (within minutes of each other)

My understanding is that exchange rates over the weekend / out of market hours are odd, thus if one is abroad it is better to buy on Friday market hours to spend during the weekend.

I.e. better to prebuy ahead of Easter, bank holidays, Christmas etc.

1 Like

Anyone fancy joining?!

Seriously though, strikes me as a super generous referral bonus.

They offered £85 last time, before dropping offer to £60 :expressionless:

I’ve got £60 , I didn’t realise it was actually £60 per person I was sure there was some small print like £5 a person up to £60 or something.

No wonder some people I know have been pushing it aggressively on their social media :joy:

Revolut got lots of that VC money hanging around.

1 Like

Is this joining and signing up for a paid offering, or just joining?!