Retaining references for payees

Thanks guys :+1:

Much appreciated.

I’ve also noticed on standing orders they can’t be edited, only cancelled :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Me too. Much easier to login to the Natwest app and pay from there!

1 Like

Standing order won’t work as I need to pay off a sum every week. That sum might be £35 one week and £350 the next week, so I need to manually transfer the balance.

I hope they do this (so we get a default reference for all previous payees):

In the meantime, the way I deal with this is using an excellent app called Copied (I was already using it, but it’s great for this too). I’ve basically created a list in copied that has references I might need to reuse (like for paying my credit card). When I come to make a payment, I switch to the Copied keyboard, select the Payment References list, and tap on my credit card number. That way I can be sure there’s no mistyping, and it’s pretty quick and easy. Hopefully a useful workaround for you until Monzo improve the payments functionality.

2 Likes

Hi,

I often pay a credit card with my Monzo account (yes, I know, I could pay by Monzo, but Section 75…)

When I have needed to make subsequent payments to them, I select the details in the “recent payee” section, and although the sort code and account no details are saved, I have to dig out my credit card to input the 16-digit into the reference box.

This may sound a little lazy, but is there a way for Monzo to remember this and have this already filled?

Starling has this option.

Thanks.

Wai

Not lazy - almost every other banking app has this ability. I’m really surprised Monzo, who base their entire business on the ease of use of their app, doesn’t have this basic feature.

1 Like

Its highly irritating to type out your credit card number every time you need to make payment. Its seems like an implicit functionality which monzo should be offering. My outdated HSBC bank can remember the reference for all payees, no reason why monzo shouldn’t.

I’m definitely going to check that app out, thank you! I have just found that copying the reference from the previous payment solves this issue for me. It involves me going slightly out of my way but it’s no problem for me any more

1 Like

I want to link my PayPal account to my Monzo account, but whenever I would want to top up my PayPal account, it needs my unique reference number which I don’t want to have to keep retyping.

Is this payment reference issue going to get rectified?

Yes - I paid a bill today and it had the right reference ready for me to click on! Awesome!

1 Like

I setup my first payment, with something in the reference box, to test paying a small amount to one of my other current accounts. Now it’s in my payee list, I selected it again to do another test, and it didn’t bring across the contents of the reference box used previously.

I’m using the latest Android version 1.20.0 installed yesterday.

Should be in blue just underneath so you can just click it?

1 Like

Oh wow, thanks… I have to tap the reference box, and then it appears in blue underneath. So not immediately obvious when opening the screen, which made me assume I’d have to retype it manually.

But it’s there, so I’m happy now.

1 Like

I assume they do it like that in case you have more than one common ref per payee. Clever.

That’s so subtle I completely missed it when I made a payment yesterday! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for pointing it out. Will save a lot of copying and pasting!

1 Like

I can’t believe they haven’t mentioned It, given the noise there’s been

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.