PlayStation 5

It’s a lot of money but it also lasts a long time too. Is it something like 8 years since the last console was released?

So you get all that time and more to enjoy it and get your moneys worth.

That’s how I justify it anyway :innocent:

1 Like

Oh yeah I agree completely.

It’s also an unavoidable expense if you want to play these games - I couldn’t have played Horizon on a PC that cost less than a PS4 (as an example).

Of course the Stadia offers an alternative but I refits to pay £60 for a single game when I never pay more than £15 in CEX!

1 Like

Seen this image doing the rounds. God this thing is a unit!

4 Likes

I think I paid £350, maybe £399 at most for the PS4 when I bought it. But with the value I’ve gotten from it, £600 is honestly reasonable to me for the PS5.

Apart from when I’ve been out of the country or not at home for a few days, I’d say I’ve probably played PS4 at least a little bit almost every day since I got it, and that was 5 years ago I think.

1 Like

I’m hyped by the PS5 but felt that the event was a bit lacklustre.

The remaster of Demon’s Souls should be great fun but was hoping for something a bit more up to date from the From Software team.

Is Bloodborne 2 too much to ask for???

I’d want one without a disc drive, but the 3 times a year I want to watch a blu-ray or someone lends me a game, I’ll regret it!

I think getting the one without a disc drive is a mistake as disc games get discounted, store games… not really, from my experience.

That’s not true really, although with the disc version you have more options.

PS store has discounts all the time. Just recently, I bought Fist Of The North Star as the digital was discounted to £12.99 and the cheapest I could find in a store was £25 at that time.

For me, though, I’ll definitely be buying the disc version because I play Blu-Rays on it.

Having gone all digital with xbox and switch, it’s pure bliss and convenience. I don’t think I could ever go back to physical disks.

I do miss some of the perks that come with buying digital games, but some companies are starting to offer those physical perks with digital purchases now, so even though I bought Pokémon digitally, Nintendo still sent me a steelbook case!

If I do get this PS5 (depends on the price point), I’ll be going with the digital one. Should be a little cheaper too.

1 Like

Consoles are typically sold at or below cost and the revenue made up on licensing fees which made them more affordable - 600£ is a bit of a stretch and starts going into the more serious/hardcore gaming territory (at which point people might consider a PC which has other perks like amazing backwards compatibility with the last decade’s games which still hold up pretty well on max graphics).

You might buy it, but I think that a big part of their target market are kids/young teens for whom the parents buy the consoles, and I can imagine them being reluctant to spend that much. I can’t see it being a success at that price unless there are two editions (~300£ for the mass market, and a 600£ “Pro” edition for the more serious gamers).

2 Likes

When it comes to consoles I think the ability to lend/borrow games or get them at very low cost from places like CeX is awesome, although understandably the manufacturers would rather not have that and get everyone to pay full price from the PS Store directly (sure there are discounts, but it still doesn’t beat what you can get at CeX). If I was buying this I would still spend more on the disc version just to have that possibility.

Good to see your insights on it. I rarely use my PS4 as i’m a PC gamer - I use my PS4 for Detroit Become Human (before it was on PC) and The Last Of Us.

1 Like

Detroit was amazing. For me, that was even more emotionally brutal (with the Nazi allegories) than TLoU.

1 Like

Absolutely this.

I have never paid more than £18 for a PS4 game (I would guess I have around 25 now). All of them (of course!) have been second hand. I’ve only ever had one issue with a disc not working but since I live three minutes from the store that was a very minor inconvenience.

All of these games could have been bought digitally but there’s no way, even with the occasional deals available, I could have done this for less than double what I have paid for the physical copies.

Furthermore about half of these games I know I’ll never want to play again - I’ll get about £50 back from CeX (once it opens!) for the PS5 fund.

I was usually a Xbox player and recently purchased the Xbox One S for the 4K player. I watched the announcement last week and think I’ll be getting the PS5.

Sony got me excited about gaming in a way that Microsoft failed to do with their announcements.
I purchased a PS4 Pro yesterday (£270 + 8 games on eBay! Steak!) in prep for the sequels that were announced + TLOUII on Friday.

PS5 is a day 1 purchase for me!

May not be the thread for it but, I have TLOU Part 1, Bloodborne, God of War and Spider-Man on the way. Any other exclusives I should dig into?

This is a wonderful typo. Please don’t edit it.

Those four will keep you very busy for a while.

2 Likes

Early morning excitement! :joy:

1 Like

If you haven’t already, play Part 1 before Part 2 - otherwise the story will not make sense.

1 Like

I played it a little when it came out and I remember flashes. I’ll be going back through it though before Part 2 for sure!

1 Like

Same here!