PlayStation 5

For me Microsoft seriously dropped the ball with the XBone - they’ve been miles behind this generation (especially given the 360 was arguably the better experience over the PS3).

On exclusives - it took me nearly three years to pick up Horizon - this was an error. It’s a fantastic game.

1 Like

I think I still cling onto the many fond memories I had of the 360 from my teens - Gears of War, Halo and Borderlands being prime examples.

I then went to the Xbox One and was always side-eyeing the PlayStation community, envious of the exclusives.

Unless Microsoft blow me away next month with their game announcements I can’t see myself dropping £400+ on it initially.

The Horizon sequel is another on my wish list so I’ll be picking the first one up. Thank you for the recommendation!

I’ve probably said this before but for me, Shenmue 3 was the ultimate example of Sony being more committed to what gamers wanted.

Microsoft had an advantage. Shenmue 2 came out on the original Xbox after the demise of the Dreamcast - in fact in North America you could only get it on the Xbox (over here it was on Dreamcast and Xbox) so there was a relationship there, and yet they wouldn’t commit to putting resources in, unlike Sony who committed to working with Yu Suzuki even before the success of the crowdfund.

For years I said whichever platform committed to it, I’d buy. That became Sony, and that’s the reason I bought the PS4. In doing so I can’t imagine having missed out on The Last of Us, Uncharted, the Yakuza series (which has only just coming out on Xbox with just a small handful of the games) and Infamous, amongst many other things. The PS exclusives over the last generation have been nothing short of mindblowing.

3 Likes

Sony have some serious competition with a new console contender entering the market…

4 Likes

One of the games coming with the PS4 is Shenmue 1 & 2. I have heard you write about the 3rd one a few times so looking forward to seeing what it is all about.

1 Like

Enjoy! The first two games originally came out at the turn of the millennium on the Dreamcast, so that’s to be remembered when playing. But the amazing thing is, a lot of the “Open World” mechanics that are standard in many games now… Shenmue invented them. They didn’t exist in gaming before Shenmue.

My favourite game series ever. Yakuza comes close, but that’s because it’s heavily based on Shenmue in many ways.

2 Likes

Thank you for the heads up.

I have Yakuza Zero as well, as part of the bundle. Looks like I may have got a good bundle for the price :sweat_smile: plenty to keep me busy!

1 Like

Another leak today, this time on Amazon France.

This shows that the digital model will be 499.99 euros and the disc version 599.99

3 Likes

Couple of good videos highlighting potential differences. I think the custom SSD and soundchip taking loan off cpu might give ps5 the edge, but mainly in exclusives.

We need Steve Ballmer to shout “Terraflops” loads of times while clapping

2 Likes

That screenshot is showing the disc version at €499, or am I missing something?

Ohhh yeah… It was trending on Twitter and nobody seemed to point that out :thinking:

I’ve just hunted the page down on UK and FR Amazon and no prices are shown.

https://www.amazon.fr/Playstation-Sony-Console/dp/B07SDFL84P/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-5-Console/dp/B08B4G9HH2/

I should also link to the tweet too, which also includes some mobile shots as well:

Hmm if it’s as low as €/£399 I’ll be happy

1 Like

Now those are price points I’d feel more comfortable paying to upgrade. If I do upgrade of course! £399 for the all digital version is an acceptable price. Not sure a disc drive warrants a €100 premium tho, but that won’t matter to me.

If this is accurate it’s extremely well priced considering the tech that’s inside it.

I am incredibly excited for this one - I haven’t looked forward to a console launch this much since the PS3. Which funnily enough I remember was also criticised for It’s design and being too big…

I know this from later on posts isn’t necessarily accurate. But what I will say is Amazon have a policy (or at least used to) that on pre orders that you get the lowest price it is advertised at after you preorder it (so if it it is £20 then £10 for a week and then £25 just before launch you pay £10). What I think this means is amazon is putting preorder at a price higher than it thinks it will ever be because if it is higher they have to honour the price they offered it at.

Sony probably wasn’t happy with them though…

I never knew that the grip texture was made up of loads of triangle, circle, cross and square symbols :open_mouth:

Nice touch…

3 Likes

I’m guessing that’s just a little easter egg for these renders. It would be extremely impractical to do that on the real ones.

The movie rewind returns with the PS5! move your foot while the controller is on the floor? Last 30 seconds of the movie again

I disagree. It’s a pretty simple finish to achieve in mass production. You could actually 3D print your own shells with patterns like that.

I’ll be a bit disappointed if it’s just for the renders now that I’ve seen it.