PlayStation 5

I don’t think anyone likes scalpers but I gotta agree with @Revels. There will always be ways to bypass what restrictions are put in place.

It’s simple supply and demand. The core of any business.

Scalpers won’t (and can’t) sell them for hugely inflated prices if people don’t pay it. So it’s nothing to do with ebay or the places that sell the consoles in the first place - it’s people who pay the ridiculous prices for the consoles who are to blame.

2 Likes

I think the law they’re proposing is making it illegal to resell something higher than RRP.

Doesn’t stop people selling something they don’t want, but removes the profit incentive for scalping.

If they manage it, hopefully it’ll put an end to scalping of concert tickets as well as technology.

Agreed. Basic supply and demand.

What I take issue with is that there’s stories like the Argos restock a few weeks back where all consoles were bought before the links even went fully live on the website.

That’s very much down to the retailer. But that they have an incentive to stop that as they’ve just sold a tonne of consoles.

1 Like

I can see a lot of gray areas with that law too. Like only applying to businesses and not individuals for example.

I also don’t really blame argos in that situation either.

I secured my console by using stock informer to alert me when they instantly came in stock which is free and open for anyone to use. Argos could try and prevent that too but another workaround would just pop up immediately after.

Plus, we’re talking about a games console here. Not life saving medicine or anything. Nobody needs to pay massively inflated costs for these things so why over engineer a “solution” when it can be fixed so simply by not paying their prices.

I’m all for legislation as a solution, as there will always be enough people who have more money than sense and will pay the scalped price rather than be patient.

After all, while supply is still limited, scalpers will be thinking “Why drop our prices when we can keep buying up stock coming on to the market and blocking people from buying new that way?”

Until there are no supply issues, it’s sad to say that it’ll always be the buyer blinking first, I fear, not the scalper.

Yeah there are huge supply issues with the PS5 too. I’m not sure whether that’s intentional, covid related or a mix of both. Hopefully they get back on top soon.

This is another reason why it’s risky for scalpers to buy everything up and why generally don’t. Especially when we’re talking concert tickets that need to be sold before the performance date.

I could be talking stupid but I think it’s just the worldwide silicon shortage. Cars aren’t being manufactured, PC parts are hard to come by, and it’s rumoured to be hitting Apple hard too. If Apple struggle, the entire industry does

So Covid-related most likely

I’m probably going to be unpopular here but I sold the PS5 I bought my daugter for Christmas as it was too tempting not too. I got £750 for it on ebay and then bought another later on from Argos using Stock Informer.

Do I feel bad about it? Not even slightly. We bought her a smaller present to open on Christmas and she had to wait a few weeks more for the PS5 but it wasn’t a big deal.

I’d say people are stupid to pay so much but it’s a free country and you can do what you want with your own money.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for a PS5 - i’m waiting for them to be back in stock everywhere - I’ve tried Stock Informer, but it oddly never informs me :smiley:

I don’t think I have such a problem with this. Indeed if you want to risk not getting one for months for some quick gains and people are willing to buy you have every right to do so

I just hate those who use bots to buy tens of consoles to then exclusively resell

2 Likes

Just stick at it and you’ll get there. Wasn’t too bad for me as I just had the tab up constantly all day while working, ready to pounce.

1 Like

People hoarding masses of stock definitely is frustrating.

But I find it equallly annoying hearing parents cry about their “poor” kids not getting a PlayStation for Christmas. Get a grip and give them a slap! Christmas isn’t just about getting presents and being a brat.

2 Likes

Games consoles are not essential unless you’re a bad parent. I know I certainly would be :smiley:

2 Likes

This is what I did but I believe that they have an app so that you can get notified on your phone now.

1 Like

And this is why it is going to be impossible to enforce so a worthless exercise to try and implement.

“I bought one for each of my kids and a couple as gifts for my nephews. My circumstances changed so I needed to free up some cash - therefore I sold them and decided to get them cheaper presents.”

Not at all saying you’ve done this - I’m in total agreement with you. I just wanted to highlight how simple it would be make something up to circumvent any measures put in place that are there to stop people buying multiple to resell.

Especially on websites like eBay where people bid on items. Would they then be forced to have ‘buy it now’ at RRP on everything and no bidding?

1 Like

Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla looks AMAZING on the PS5. Would anyone here recommend it (for someone’s who never played an AC game?)

Also if you haven’t already, Spider-Man: Remastered is worth it! :spider_web:

Spiderman miles morales is amazing, I’ve completed that and now I’ve got Assasins Creed Valhalla as a newbie like you.

Im really enjoying it so far. I don’t think it makes the storyline any different not knowing what happened in the other series.

1 Like

Yes I have about 60 hours in Valhalla. Not played AC before. I will say default difficulty was a bit hard (not great at these games) so just went easy and hack and slash to my hearts content!

Half way through miles morales not played the original remastered yet.

1 Like

I had a quick look and I think it’s chip related. Like this recent article that states it won’t get any better until the end of the year :flushed:

Yup, cars, consoles, phones, anything that needs silicon is screwed. Maybe the iPhone 13 will be delayed again and this is why I still don’t have an AppleTV

Spent this morning trying to get a console from GAME with no luck.

So frustrating as I joined the queue within a minute of them going live, over an hour later I was still in the queue to then get a message saying they’re sold out.

1 Like