šŸ‘€šŸ‘€šŸ‘€šŸ‘€ [Pay from pots with virtual cards]

To me, it seems that a pot canā€™t do anything directly because it isnā€™t an account in itself.
Only the account under which a pot exists can have payments taken, receive money, etc. and thatā€™s the big issue with pots.

A Virtual Card is a ā€˜payment accountā€™ - as in, payments can be taken from them - so by assigning a VC to be funded by a specific pot, it makes the specific pot able to act as a payment account. Clever really. The pot is still ā€˜dumbā€™ but can fund a VC which is the payment account.

A pot can now be surrounded by 2 payment accounts - the bank account it sits under and the VC assigned to it. Pincer-move complete. This makes the Monzo account very powerful for automation and segregation of funds for payments.

I can see this would be confusing to some users though - itā€™s very much on the tech-side of UX

4 Likes

I am intrigued to see how Monzo are going to communicate all of this to users when it properly launches. I personally got a bit confused yesterday when trying to work out how to reconfigure my set-up to make use of this, and obviously for people to feel the full benefits they will need to get on board with it. I also struggled to explain to my partner, who is less tech-savvy, what it all is and how he would go about setting it up. Would be good to have some example set-ups/use cases.

5 Likes

Is it that complicated though? Itā€™s just a virtual card with a limit thatā€™s fixed by whatā€™s available in itā€™s linked pot

2 Likes

I guess maybe I found it more complicated because I didnā€™t full grasp the concept of how a virtual pot and bills pot work together. Through trial and error I realised that I can set up a virtual card linked to a pot and then move my bills into being paid from the same pot. Prior to that I had thought that my bills pot and virtual card with subscriptions had to be separate.

And on the concept of a virtual card, Monzo obviously appreciate that it isnā€™t easy for everyone to understand as I was asked to complete a survey by them a while back asking about how I might explain a virtual card to someone.

3 Likes

I think if youā€™ve already got them set up or some other work around then it might be a bit more complex.

But if youā€™re starting fresh I think itā€™s pretty simple. Use this new shiny card and the money comes from this pot. Use your normal card and it comes from your normal account.

6 Likes

I can see the ā€œReconfigureā€ bit being really interesting.

As a feature, it sounds great, and as someone generally interested in the concept, I can see good use cases for it. Not sure if that would hold true for all users though.

It almost needs a ā€œthese are some powerful use casesā€ explainer of sorts.

Iā€™m trying myself to work on what the best way to integrate these into my day to day finances are, and Iā€™ve not mastered it yet.

I do partially worry the limit of 5 will be the blocker.

2 Likes

Iā€™m loving this. It has also given me a reason to sign back up to Curve.

Iā€™ve got a Fuel Expenses Pot that I use for refueling my car on/after business trips and the pot gets funded by claiming mileage expenses. As Iā€™m able to claim more than I spend, over time and with enough miles, this pot will help fund my next car.

I donā€™t necessarily need curve for that as I could use a virtual card added to Google Pay but thatā€™s not really an option if I want to pay at the pump.

It would be really cool if down the line monzo could offer a similar type of physical card that could manage their virtual cards.

4 Likes

Not sure if this has been noted but the manage tab on bills pot has been updated too

1 Like

Looks the same to me! :thinking:

Yeah thereā€™s a thread about it

2 Likes

Ahh missed that, thank you

2 Likes

I changed the colour of my virtual card and it updated in Apple wallet. Thatā€™s incredible :joy:

9 Likes

Without having to re-add it? :thinking:

Didnā€™t know that was possible!

1 Like

Yep and come to think of it aswell when I signed up to business pro I got a different card. I activated it in the app and it auto updated on ApplePay straight away

2 Likes

Awesome! Iā€™ve always had to delete and re-add cards to get new Apple Pay designs!

But if Monzo can change it seamlessly behind the scenes without the user doing anything, then hereā€™s a dopey concept idea! A card that changes colour in line with your trends and budget, to help keep you on track!

3 Likes

Yessss!!!

That would be good if you can link a virtual card to a credit pot. The less credit limit available you have the more red the card goes :wink:

Endless opportunity for future products

3 Likes

Oh boy!

If the BNPL credit pot rumour happens, and itā€™s fuelled by a virtual card, this is absolutely how it should work! Would be awesome!

3 Likes

I think we are on to something here.

They wonā€™t need to bother with physical credit cards then because if you need to use a card you can transfer the money from the pot to your personal account if itā€™s interest free on cash advances. It depends on how they build the product but this update with virtual cards and pots has just made Monzo so much better!

I used to hate having my NowTV and Adobe stuff declining because I didnā€™t know when to transfer the money!

2 Likes

Iā€™d have loved your pot image to be the virtual card image in Google Pay! But you canā€™t have everything!

1 Like

Changing colour seems great, but I already canā€™t remember which is which and I only set up two!