Our overdrafts are changing

If credit scores/reports are reviewed by monzo every month how much notice will monzo provide should someones APR % need to change?

Obviously it should be simple. Thatā€™s where the 50p charge was best I feel. Clearly, as someone who makes heavy use of the overdraft facility you speak with knowledge of the subject. I donā€™t myself, but I can empathise with someone in your position

People are talking about the acceptance criteria, not the percentageā€¦ So Iā€™m not really sure where you are going with that :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Simplicity.

Yes, and the acceptance criteria was equally as confusing beforehandā€¦ soā€¦:man_shrugging:

The percentage vs 50p shouldnā€™t really make things harder to understand for people, as itā€™s laid out in the app.

Anyway, lucky you donā€™t need to worry about it, and thank you for your sympathies :wink:

Empathy. Not sympathy!

I donā€™t think the eligibility criteria are any more cryptic than legacy banks like starling

Donā€™t they have to be cryptic to a degree. Stops people gaming the system.

Ah, quick typo change I see :grin:

Glad to see that doing things like the legacy banks is what you are here for :+1:

Have a wonderful evening Arnold :grin:

Typo change? I havenā€™t made any changes. What are you on about?

Iā€™m also not here for legacy bank stylings. I was using it as a comparison. I donā€™t appreciate your way of talking down to people. Itā€™s rude and uncalled for.

What I find most crazy is back when I was a fresh out of uni grad, with literally no credit rating at all, I was able to get a Ā£2k overdraft, for about 4 years, at 18%.

I do find the rates crazy, and the justification that ā€œitā€™s inline with the marketā€ just not very Monzo.

I get the whole ā€œmaking money work for everyoneā€ bit, not sure I think this does it, but 40% AER feels shady.

Interestingly, having just looked at the loans section. I could get a 12 month loan of Ā£3k for a better rate than the loans (12.9%).

Maybe if they announced that total account and regular pot balance would countā€¦

Hmmmā€¦ is my thought for now.

5 Likes

There was a previous post somewhere before where a dev spoke briefly about how loans were calculated, they use a mix of both your credit report and analysis of how you use your account. I.e if you have a 999 Experian score but donā€™t use Monzo as your main account youā€™ll probably not get offered one as they donā€™t have the data they need for their checks to pass you.

Iā€™ll try and find the post next time on my computer.

2 Likes

That makes sense, and I seem to remember something about how that affected people who predominantly used their joint accounts rather than their sole account :+1:

Monzo already had a very expensive overdraft which was masqueraded as clear and simple to understand. I think anyone in their right mind would choose paying Ā£1-5ish that they didnā€™t fully understand the structure instead of Ā£15.50 in charges they fully understood.

I believe most people are going to fit nicely into the 39 and 29, as otherwise Monzo would be generating less money from overdrafts. 19 will likely be reserved to ultra-low risk customers.

Itā€™s still better than HSBC as Iā€™ve been emailed that my rate is going up to 39.9 from 11.9% with a Ā£20 maximum monthly charge though the first Ā£500 is fee-free so likely no charges for me.

3 Likes

Seems cruel and unusual, especially because the overdraft is often being used for life essentials :disappointed:.

2 Likes

But then again if anyone feels itā€™s cruel and unusual thereā€™s Starling who offer significantly better rates now and previously with basically on-par features otherwise. If anyone chooses Monzoā€™s rate I donā€™t think Monzo can be called cruel because youā€™re choosing the more expensive product.

So the most vulnerable/lowest earners get charged the most. Feels very unMonzo. More like Boris at the helm

2 Likes

Ah, that makes some sense! Thanks :+1:

Homeowner with mortgage, good income, use Monzo as my main account, offered an overdraft but unable to get a loan with Monzo. Self employed? Business account also with Monzo with a steadily increasing balance. Lending criteria for any financial institution are usually a closely guarded secret and vary widely.

Edit - Transunion score varies but usually around 670-680, Experian score 999 and has been for years.

A bad credit score doesnā€™t mean youā€™re a low earner. Itā€™s disingenuous to suggest thatā€™s the case.

You could be on Ā£100,000 and have a bad credit score.
You could be on Ā£12,000 and have a great credit score.

Your credit score is more than salary.

7 Likes

So when in December will users start to be given the option to move onto these APRs? Also will this be a limited offering of this option on a controlled rolled out basis?