Odd Instagram advert

Came across this Instagram advert today which I thought was a little odd due to the picture used and the link attached when you click “Learn More”: https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/24/monzo-series-f/?guccounter=2

Has anyone else come across this?

This is just one of a large number of ads they’re running across the Facebook network at the moment, some using Tom’s image, others not. Quite a few of them seem to be linking to articles too.

You can see them all here: https://www.facebook.com/ads/library/?active_status=all&ad_type=all&country=GB&view_all_page_id=113612035651775

I’m sure they’ve done the necessary tests to prove that this is a method of advertising that provides an acceptable return on investment.

2 Likes

Thanks for this, I didn’t know you could see a list of Facebook Ads by company so that’s pretty cool!

Interesting to see how many Monzo have running right now!

1 Like

I think folk sussed that first for political parties advertising, given the sensitivities post Cambridge Analytica, but yeah I guess it applies more generally

Loads of stuff in there about duration and targeting

1 Like

Or this itself is the test.

5 Likes

…and this community feedback will appear in the post-test report.

Hi marketing team :raising_hand_man:t5:

2 Likes

Haha, I’ve gotta say that the one I had was a little odd due to the caption just being ‘3 million people and counting’ then a link to an article. A lot of the other ones they are running make a lot more sense IMO.

Very cool, @RichardL. Thank you for sharing! :heart_eyes:

Do you know, by any chance, how to search for the libraries of other companies?

Would be interested in seeing the split testing data.

1 Like

Yep from any page, scroll down to ‘Page Transparency’ then you’ll be able to click through to the ad library at the bottom.

Also on any Facebook ad you can see exactly why you’ve been targeted:

2 Likes

What would be interesting to know is why we’re not all excluded from the advertising. I’m sure there’s a reason but it really doesn’t make sense to spend money advertising signing up to people already on board

I guess that the type of person who uses Monzo is the type of person they’re looking for.

Thank you very much. Greatly appreciated!

1 Like

I don’t use Facebook very much and have no idea how the advertising works…

However can you share an ad? Does that help it reach an audience who might not see it? Perhaps Monzo customers who see the advert might share it and their friends would then see it and in turn they might be more likely to use Monzo?

Not necessarily, Carphone Warehouse for example wouldn’t advertise a brand new iPhone to someone who just bought a brand new iPhone from their site. Reaching already converted users costs money, it would make more sense for people already on Monzo to be advertised additional features like getting paid early in order to convert them to full Monzo.

It’s possible to exclude people from being advertised to using things like customer lists/email addresses and cookie data but that’s a whole minefield of privacy issues. You can also use data on your existing customers to build lists of Facebook/Instagram users who are ‘similar’ to them, I imagine Monzo are doing this.

Yes you can but it really depends on the message that’s being advertised. If for example a musician is advertising their tour dates you can imagine loads of people will share the ad with their friends, a bank on the other hand maybe not so much.

Not sure this caption is great…

It’s a marketing technique that works.

People love to hear negative ‘news’ - but I’m pretty sure I’ve read that blog post and it’s all basically positive points highlighting the great aspects Monzo have to offer.

2 Likes

I’m not convinced personally. But if it works, then so be it. The comments on the Instagram post are not positive about it.

But on the post it links to it is right? It’s all like
‘If you hate getting benefit benefit etc.’

The comments on it though I doubt Monzo can control.

1 Like

I think we saw this with some of the blog posts as well

It has the second benefit of showing up high in the rankings if someone enters a phrase into Google or Bing or wherever, it being better to at least partly control the narrative

2 Likes