'Not Equal To' Search Modifier

It would be useful to be able to filter out transactions that I didn’t want to include in my search results by applying a ‘not’ search modifier (like Google’s “-searchTerm” or the != syntax).

Then if I make a payment for something that I’m paid back for by a friend, I can tag it (using :x: for example) and exclude those transactions from my summary totals.

Note: I can already exclude those transactions from my category totals (though not the monthly spend total) in the Spending tab, by making their category General, rather than their true category.
But it would be better if there was a way to exclude these transactions from the category total, to keep my reporting consistent (& also avoid impacting Monzo’s analytics).

4 Likes

Think it ties in with something I wrote earlier today too

1 Like

@hugo maybe this wasn’t the best example to use, to explain my use case

because I’m guessing you’re working on a way to manage this particular scenario, as you iterate on categories.

So another example would be, searching for this month’s transactions, to see the total spend, avg & (soon) number of transactions but excluding fixed costs like rent (id’d based on a tag) &/or certain bills…

1 Like

Yeah, all this stuff is designed. Not sure when we’ll build it but we’ve been working on a tap & hold gesture (same patter that iOS keyboard uses to access accents) to reveal some extra options for power users. Fingers crossed we can deliver it :soon:

6 Likes

Thanks for letting me know.

These enhancements are going to be really useful but personally, I wouldn’t mind waiting for some of the other functionality to be developed first.

The main thing is, it’s useful to get some sense of how this will work once it’s released (even though this might change) so that I can manage my tags etc. and have everything working as soon as it’s available :raised_hands:

Don’t worry about that, we have really meaty features in the pipeline :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@hugo - on the topic of the tap and hold gestures your talking about designing, it would be awesome if someone on your team could release a blog post with hints and tips to take full advantage of these. Even now I feel like there are some cool little tricks with tagging and searching, some of which I have picked up on. But I still feel like I’m not making the absolute most of the app. Particularly when more advanced features are released, it would be good to have a blog post to refer to.

1 Like

Now that the targets feature is here, it would be great if the search criteria was also applied to the data in the Spending tab, if a user set up a search & then navigated to it. So that the user could see “what would my performance vs target have been if I hadn’t bought that particular thing?” (which has been filtered out of the search results) or “how much of my target was used up buying x?”.

1 Like

What if scenarios would also be a big help for forecasting future expenses/incomes, i.e what would it look like if I got a X% pay rise next year.

To make that more beneficial, I think targets should have the option to calculate a % of income rather than flat amount. Therefore savings could also be affected in the scenario. Those won’t happen until after BACS payments and savings accounts are supported of course.

1 Like

@hugo, is an enhanced search still in the plans. Would be extremely useful, especially the ‘advanced’ date function and ‘not equal to’! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Bumping this thread from the grave, and adding another use case:

When I pay for work related expenses, I like to have one hashtag to group all expenses for a particular trip (e.g. #sfmay2019) and another to indicate whether I’ve expensed them (e.g. #expensed). I’d like to easily see what expenses I have for a trip that haven’t been expensed (e.g. #sfmay2019 -#expensed).

This is the sort of feature that will be great for power users, without adding any cognitive load for users that don’t need it.

2 Likes