New plus card came! But already opened 😫

Why did you activate (and I presume in the process deactivate the coral?) when you knew you were going to cancel it?

I didn’t know I was going to cancel it, mine has grazes from machinery pulling it open rather than it looking like it’d been tampered with by a person and there wasn’t any evidence that the card had been interfered with. Coupled with there being many with the same issue, I didn’t think the card had been compromised.

Wasting Plastic and such did spring to mind, however after reading here that everyone else was getting a replacement card and some constructive criticism that I hadn’t frozen and replaced my card, I did so.

How do I contact support about this?

Search ‘contact support’ in the app help section

1 Like

My envelope looks exactly the same as yours, completely open. From the amount of people who have had this issue, I assume it’s some flaw with the packaging but I’m going to order a new one to be on the safe side.

1 Like

Replacements can’t be ordered in app if the previous card hasn’t been activated, not what happened here but still a limitation.

Also you are only allowed one free replacement, after that they are charged at £5 each unless it’s Monzo’s fault. Definitely worth asking COps to replace it in this instance even if you have activated it

3 Likes

Or, if you’re a Plus customer, cancel for the month and get a coral card sent free and then a plus card sent free when you re-subscribe. :wink:

2 Likes

Then get mobbed by environmentalists for plastic waste :sweat_smile::wink:

4 Likes

And foil… don’t forget about the foil.

Did I read somewhere you only get one free replacement plus card then have to pay a fiver a pop? (Or did I dream that?)
That being the case, is freezing and replacing your card independently (rather than through the chat) not going to mean you unfairly lose your ‘strike’?

Edit: oops only just seen this:

There was once a time that people were complaining that Monzo didn’t have ApplePay so they didn’t have to use the cards. Now they have ApplePay, they complain the cards are poor.

Can’t help but feel for Monzo sometimes. They can’t win. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

They’re not mutually exclusive things in my opinion. So having Apple Pay does not justify nor should it be an excuse for a poorer quality effort in the physical card department. I think it should be expected of them, or any bank, to deliver on all fronts. Though I don’t think that was intentional here.

It’s clear a lot of thought and effort went into designing both an environmentally friendly (also cost cutting) yet superb experience on the physical card front, so I feel for them that the envelope quality has let that experience down for some folk. I don’t think they intended to cheap out on envelope quality, more just that they weren’t tested thoroughly enough to ensure the seal remained intact.

4 Likes

An envelope failure is quite the curveball. I can easily see how this might have slipped under the radar in all the planning and development of Plus. it’s just one of those things. Live and learn :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I agree, hopefully it should be a quick fix :crossed_fingers:

Exactly, it’s probably the quality (thickness) of the card holder that’s contributing to the fragility of the seal.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Yep. Agreed. Just an observation at how some like to complain about everything Monzo. Like I say, seems like they can’t win sometimes.

1 Like

Hi everyone :wave:

We’re aware that a small number of folks have received Monzo Plus cards in damaged or open packaging.

We’re working to make sure this doesn’t happen with future card carriers. If the seal is broken or you have any other concerns, please don’t activate your card and contact us via the in-app chat to order a free replacement.

We’ll let you know if we have any more info to share.

33 Likes

As with any large group of people, individuals within the group are likely to hold conflicting views. That doesn’t mean their customers are crazy or unreasonable.

As ever, you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

1 Like