Monzo's Gender Pay Gap

We do publish those numbers, although @nuttyneil is right that this doesn’t cover pay gap https://monzo.com/blog/2018/03/22/diversity-and-inclusion/

3 Likes

Brilliant :grinning:

1 Like

Good to see the detailed diversity stats, and open discussion on the topic is great progress.

A bit surprising, you’ve recruited most within the last 12 months, so at the point of making the salary/pay offers how have you come to decide to offer less?

It’s been hot topic for sometime, surely this type of equality drive should of been part of the hiring decisions you should of been considering ?

I might be wrong or misunderstanding but of not expected such a gap.

As mentioned above it seems potentially that there aren’t people applying for the role that are either (a) from other genders or (b) aren’t stronger than their male counterparts.

I don’t at all think that Monzo aren’t aware of the diversity.

What you’re seeing is a gap in terms of averages of payment, with there not being as many senior people that identify as female the resultant gap is not a surprise. It’s difficult to close that gap if there aren’t females at the higher pay levels - as mentioned in the blog post.

3 Likes

At the risk of bringing back painful memories An Update on Diversity and Inclusion at Monzo

2 Likes

We don’t at this time. At the moment we do not publicly post individual salaries at Monzo and including this data might personally identify people.

We’re confident that we pay equally for equal work, so it isn’t that people who identify as women are offered or paid less for doing the same role as a man.

Instead, what our gender pay gap reporting shows is a disparity in how much men and women across all roles are paid on average. Women are not well-represented in the better-paid, senior or engineering roles, which brings the average for women’s pay across the company down.

13 Likes

Surely if you are basing your “gender” pay gap on those who identify as men and women, as opposed to those who are of the sex male and female you risk making your statistics meaningless.

The root cause of the “gender” pay gap is female biology.

As an extreme unrealistic example, if all of your top positions were held by men and transwomen, and all of the lower paid roles were held by women and transmen then based on self-identified gender your company would have perfect gender inequality, but appalling levels of sex equality (which is what the gender pay gap is supposed to measure).

TL;DR The gender pay gap is actually about measuring the inequalities that primarily negatively impact females - it’s not about how you identify.

I really couldn’t disagree more. Female is female no matter if you were born that way or not

10 Likes

female
ˈfiːmeɪl/
adjective
of or denoting the sex that can bear offspring or produce eggs, distinguished biologically by the production of gametes (ova) which can be fertilized by male gametes.

Furthermore both sex, and gender reassignment are separate protected characteristics, which exist as these are groups particularly vulnerable to harassment, discrimination etc.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/part/2

My understanding is that the gender pay gap is for measuring the impact of the protected characteristic of sex.

Monzos diversity stats (mentioned) upthread do correctly take account of how people identify.

2 Likes

I think that’s an assumption that’s not correct.

Any inequality faced by women is faced by all women and we need to resolve that. An inclusive work place where every person has the opportunity to perform to the best of their ability and have the opportunity to succeed is the goal.

13 Likes

We’ll only work with recruiters who can:

• Produce gender balanced shortlists

This bit concerns me. A lazy recruiter will just separate males and females and ensure there are equal numbers in order to “tick the box”. A responsible recruiter will diversify where they post jobs to naturally get a more even spread.

Will you be monitoring recruiters’ practises?

1 Like

I would argue that root cause of the “gender” pay gap is male biology.

7 Likes

I think the idea of looking at this statistics is great and knowing what the averages of pay between men and women can give some interesting facts. I just think its been politicised and polarised in such a way that people on both ends of the spectrum (against pay gap, don’t think its real etc) have become the dominant voices and so the statistics become irrelevant and it just descends into a argument

2 Likes

Will you be monitoring recruiters’ practises?

Definitely! We only want to work with recruiters who bring us the best possible candidates. If there is a trend where the candidates they put forward do not meet our requirements then we wouldn’t continue to work with them. That’s just a waste of time for everyone involved and isn’t fair to the candidates!

5 Likes

I would also disagree with this. It’s just my two cents but I think the pay gap is rooted in a few things:

• The way we value the role of the caregiver and the amount of support we’re willing to offer those who take a career break in order to raise children or act as a care giver to parents / partners etc.

• How we motivate children to choose subjects that interest them and excite them.

• Lack of diverse role models in different fields that inspire young people to achieve the same thing for themselves.

• Lack of mentors for professional people to help build the network that is sometimes vital to success in some industries.

This list could go on and on and again, it’s just my opinion, but assigning a single cause to a problem that’s actually quite complex to one group of people doesn’t really help anyone.

If we all just say ‘hey - this is a problem we’ve identified, let’s all work together to try and solve it’ we’ll probably get a lot further towards the change we want to see. :+1:

17 Likes

I find these thing interesting… But theres also a lot of unmeasured things I would love to see…

With mean hourly pay… Mean hours worked (per week / per month)… Top percentile worked etc…

I started at 4am today, its 8pm now and am just finishing… No lunch, no pauses, without stopping from issue to issue… Tomorrow is a similar schedule… weekends are worked… I routinely put in 80 hours and sometimes put in 100+… I have at times (when I was younger) done 36 - 48 hours straight, without sleep, each week…

This is partly why my businesses succeed… I dont even need money anymore but I love achieving huge growth and #winning when I try… If I wouldnt give it that, I wouldnt bother doing it. I can sit pool side drinking cocktails in the tropics as a lifestyle if I wish, but having done it… your brain goes mushy, you get soft, you need a little fight in your life to stay young.

I simply dont meet women who think that kind of aggression and balance is a worthwhile life choice, thats cool, they may even be correct, but this is a drive issue and thats rarely represented in ‘mean hourly pay’…

1 Like

Me man …

Women
= sex
= children
= social prestige
= I am better than other men, look at my woman/women
= look at my resources, I am worthy

At work, me man …

Other men
= competition
= opportunity to prove I am better
= warrior brothers
= hunters together
= social standing amongst peers

Women at work
= oh, how to I compete?
= shouldn’t she be back at the village looking after the children?
= me fancy her, must chase … no must not!! Confused.
= warrior sister? Me confused!
= this is mans work, she can’t possibly be doing it as good as a man.

And so forth

But then our conscious mind kicks in all “hey biology how’s it going, what’s with all this million years evolution it’s so outdated let’s try something different”
Evolution: no different, me man.
Consciousness: well I’m in control now and I want it to change.
Evolution: no me not change, am comfortable. fight!!
Consciousness: wow evolution is very strong but I must keep fighting …

100,000 years later … ?

(A lot tongue in cheek)

2 Likes

Would you

1. leave your partner for 8 - 10 months a year… possibly ending your relationship
  2. work every hour awake
  3. engage in high scale confrontations, even physical ones

For a higher pay level ??

2 Likes