Monzo Staff Weekly Q&A - Robin Murphy (Engineering Manager) 🛠✅

I’m currently managing engineers working across a few different teams (Lending, Savings and Growth).

In Lending we’re working on the underlying systems that help us make credit decisions (how much should we lend and to who?) as well as building features in the app that we think will make borrowing better for everyone.

In Savings we’re iterating on Savings Pots in response to your feedback, as well as working on new partnerships to help make your money work even harder.

The engineers in the Growth team are working on our referral mechanisms and looking at how we can help people discover more of the useful features in Monzo sooner.

I’m going to steal this from out job ad :wink:

We’re looking for empathetic managers with a technical background to support and coach our engineers and help drive technical initiatives that improve our engineering practices.

I personally value managers with a high degree of empathy, a strong self-awareness and an ability to challenge the people they manage without pushing them too far and too fast.

I try to build relationships with the people I manage where they feel comfortable giving me feedback directly. We also have ways for them to provide feedback anonymously when they don’t feel comfortable with that. More concretely I also try to admit when I’m wrong or something’s not working. Definitely something I’m working on though!

3 Likes