Monzo plus... let down again? :(

I probably will go without insurance when I’m up for renewal in November. Was just at the time i was worried of braking it again :disappointed:

@Modo @Revels what this illustrates is one’s aversion to risk.

I bought an iPhone X almost three years ago. The first thing I did was put a glass screen protector on it and put it in a Speck CandyShell case. These things get broken, occasionally, and can be replaced. The phone still looks brand new. Not even microscratches on it.

It’s the physical protection that’s my insurance. Of course, that won’t cover theft or loss, but I’ve not lost and phone nor had one stolen in the last 25 years.

It’s all down to the individual. How careful / clumsy / forgetful / careless they think they are and whether the cost of phone insurance is worth it to them.

1 Like

I had an iPhone 6 that I got on launch day, smashed the screen a few days later :frowning:

I think that was when the replacements from Apple were £150ish, so I just swallowed the cost, but now it’s a lot more.

And despite what I said above, I haven’t had a case or protector on mine ever. It’ll come back to bite me again one day.

1 Like

You’re braver than I !!

1 Like

For me I’d rather pay a tiny bit more in insurance if it gives me more confidence in the cover it offers, and the likelihood of payout.

My current phone, an iPhone 11 Pro Max, would cost £1400 or so to replace. In the three years I’ll likely have this phone, I’ll spend £450 ish on the Flex Cover. My Partner has the same phone so that’s £225 each.

I don’t think that’s a terrible pay off in terms of risk mitigation - I generally use a case on my phone, I generally keep it in my pocket, and I’m generally careful - but probably not careful enough that I won’t drop it and obliterate the screen on concrete at some point in the next two years or so.

And that goes the same for many types of insurance products - breakdown cover - I pay for RAC cover that’s more expensive than the basic ones - largely because of the convenience factor of if a breakdown happens.

I’m a big fan of getting the right cover, not just the cheapest.

And as others say - If you can afford to manage that risk directly - that’s even better - but for some things that doesn’t always stack up.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.