Monzo Plus - Bi-Weekly Update 28th November 2019

Thanks for the update @tomdavies

In relation to the above. Perhaps you could leave the odd short comment or even a :heart: on some comments you like or find interesting? It only takes 2 seconds since you’re here anyway.

I’m sure everyone will be happy to see a little engagement instead of talking amongst ourselves for 2 weeks waiting for the next update.

After all you ask us for our opinions :smiley:

Other than that I can see the point you’re making about the updates and how much detail your can give :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This x 100. And remember what happened the last two times we voted with our feet. With each passing update people seem to care less and less about Monzo Plus - so stop talking it and release it with a Big Bang when it is ready.

Also, the very fact that you have not said you will not paywall existing features is a big red line for me too. The fact that you said that is alarming and shows a serious lack of experience and business acumen in the Plus team IMO.

13 Likes

I fully agree with these two quotes:

Pay walling is a big no no for me too. Monzo is about making money work for everyone.

11 Likes

I totally agree with this :point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:

None of the existing features should be paywalled, These are the features that have brought people to Monzo. Lending and gimmicks like metal cards are ways to generate revenue. But please don’t put smart core features into the same bracket as things like metal cards that have no benefit to money management whatsoever.

12 Likes

This is terrifying

32 Likes

I can’t think of a single reason how this could be justified. I was hoping the idea of paywalling at all might still be undecided, but the fact you’re also considering potentially putting some current features behind a paywall really worries me.

There’s no way I’d be able to sing Monzo’s praises and recommend it to friends and family to the same extent as I do now if this happens.

18 Likes

If this were to happen, wouldn’t Monzo see the same exodus as the Legacy banks did when they reduced the benefits of their paid accounts?
Everyone is looking for more value for money these days.

4 Likes

No, it’s not. Monzo are, quite reasonably, telling us that nothing is off the table.

In practical terms, however, there’s very little that monzo could put behind a paywall… maybe the monzo.me payments, which cost them money to process? Most other stuff either falls into the category of (a) monzo need it to promote themselves e.g. payments with friends or (b) other banks already do it for free e.g. budgeting tools.

There’s certainly no need to be “terrified.”

2 Likes

Monzo.me is as much a promotional tool as a payment tool

That would be shooting them selves in the foot

2 Likes

Can I get some clarity please @tomdavies?

I totally understand that you and the team might not want to commit to anything in particular just yet, but with regards to the above…

Is the lack of commitment in regards to the premise paywalling? Or what features might fall behind the paywall? Or both?

What can I say. You’re obviously more in the know than me and have better product knowledge.

Come on @tomdavies - I think you should justify even saying that.

1 Like

It costs them money to posts us cards too, so therefore they should charge for that by your logic. Monzo.me is marketing tool which has a tiny cost (in terms of a marketing tool) attached to it :+1:

Monzo Mary
Monzo Mungo
Monzo Midge

(It means something to a 54 year old, but…)

3 Likes

I’m not.

Rather, I know that we can CASS away from Monzo any time we like, so there’s no point getting exercised about vague, non specific talk of paywalling stuff.

For what it’s worth, my own view is that Plus won’t be of any interest to me (just as I’ve never used a premium account from any other bank), but I don’t believe monzo will cripple their free offering, because we’d all simply leave…

2 Likes

Paywalling would be terrible. Unsure how Monzo would even do this for the current features, which are free or soon to be free elsewhere.

Please add a way to measure customer reactions if you do start limiting existing features. For example, if you have 3 Pots and have to upgrade for the 4th Pot then having a way to record the customers reaction will be really telling. Suppose you could gauge it on they clicked to create a 4th Pot, and exited, but that could mean they meant to return to it later, while the customer being able to say “awful” would say something very different.

Unsurprisingly, I don’t think updates should stop. Real engagement has always served Monzo well, please do not tamper with that. Other institutions would love to have a community half as engaged.

Of course I respect the honesty. You really could have filtered out certain things, we’d be none the wiser.

Anyway, working on this until some time next year without customer feedback will just produce a more isolated product.

A bigger concern of mine, which is more targeted at challenger Banks overall is that traditional “free Banking” is eroding away. I get the need to be sustainable but at some point the legacy Banks will catch up with their apps. Then what?

2 Likes

If we’re looking at keeping a “free” version of what we have on the standard accounts, but a more advanced version of it behind a paywall on a paid account then this makes.

So long as we don’t end up suffering a loss of things we’d miss if put behind a paywall.

I’m sure Monzo would, in continually communicating with the community (as I believe they should do), ask for our opinion first to gain the reactions before implementing it.

On that point, a few people have made reference to not having these updates and just release it when ready, yet in other comments from the same people they make reference to Monzo getting it wrong in not involving the community.

Maybe if we all digested what the guys and girls at Monzo tell us before jumping in to slam them on their comments (and I’m not trying to make a sweeping generalisation here just to clarify), we might actually help them in providing a product the majority of us will want/need :blush:

1 Like

Agreed. You can’t just suddenly charge for something that has been free forever and wasn’t created to be a paid feature. It’s something you’d expect from a money grabbing corporate.

2 Likes

I agree - if you’re 50+ it’s…

2 Likes