Monzo in the media

The good old beeb, I recall the opt out gambling block and the vision for it being rolled out at a transactional level in the future. I recall Monzo explaining we build the tools, the customer opt in and the panel just didn’t understand.

With Monzo being super transparent there will likely be a detailed response.

1 Like

Monzo clearly know this is going to air tonight so my question is are they going to send someone to the studio, send in some shitty statement along the lines of “We’re afraid that we can’t give any more information about why we close accounts We’re a regulated bank, which means we have to follow rules from the FCA around what we can say. But we don’t close accounts without a good reason.” with a load of emojis thrown in for LOLZ or are they going to ignore it.

If someone is attending are they going to wheel out out @tom or just send in someone low level.

Also what are Tom’s thoughts on this?

3 Likes

My sense is that Monzo have made it so much easier than in the past to open an account that they’re bound to attract a higher proportion than traditional banks of people that would behave in a manner that would warrant their account being frozen.

However, probably worth waiting until the programme has been broadcast rather than unnecessarily speculating!

3 Likes

I think monzo’s plan is the same as other banks. My HSBC has been frozen a couple times, but someone called me within minutes, or a text was received straight away with a number to call.

Problem is monzo’s customer service is so terrible, Your account is locked for days instead on minutes because there is no one free to help.

2 Likes

Surely your account hasn’t been entirely frozen a couple of times? Do you mean the card being temporarily frozen? As that’s something different entirely than what’s happening with account freezing.

1 Like

Account reviews are handled by a different team to the team that does frontline customer support :+1:

8 Likes

No mention of Monzo or account freezing in the Watchdog show notes for tonight’s episode:

“ This programme will be available shortly after broadcast

Episode 6

WatchdogSeries 42

Episode 6 of 6

In the last of the current series, Matt Allwright, Steph McGovern and Nikki Fox expose the big companies accused by customers of trying to pull a fast one. On Rogue Traders there’s a dramatic confrontation after the team catches out the tech repair business that instead of fixing faults creates new ones - and even holds your gadgets hostage. Plus, Anneka rice investigates whether carbon offsetting can really mean guilt-free-flying; the team ranks the best and worst airlines, and there’s live advice and reaction in the studio.

Show less

Release date: 17 October 2019”

Monzo legal :eyes:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing, @Matthewbissell. Looking forward to tonight’s broadcast.

Monzo have already confirmed their interpretation of regulations is stricter than other banks so maybe the stats do show that they are overcautious at the expense of their customers?

1 Like

I totally understand that all banks have to freeze accounts sometimes. But if it is true, telling people to use a food bank is terrible PR after you block their account IMO. You have frozen their account, that is where the line should be drawn, not giving advice on how to get food. I can’t quite put into words what I want to say. It just doesn’t feel right.

3 Likes

Maybe?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Removed Posts - October 2019

Food banks are sad :frowning:

1 Like

What is going on :rofl:

2 Likes

People have to use food banks

It’s sad

1 Like

Why them accounts het banned for?

1 Like

Last week BBC Watchdog ran a story about a customer loosing money to a scam at Metro bank, due to them not having the latest security measures. They authorised a bank transfer with a sms message sent to scammers. Later in the same show, they said Metro Bank came out top for current accounts but they admitted they scored poorly on security.

Wouldn’t you want a bank that protects the customer money first over everything else but not take it to the level First Direct does.

1 Like

I don’t think it is quite as binary as that.