Monzo in the media

Yeah. Pointless stat without that

“1392 complaints of which 1 was upheld” doesn’t make such good headlines

I knew that article wasn’t going to be worth reading as soon as it said the Facebook group was ‘quietly’ set up :man_facepalming:

I don’t think the optics are as bad as you fear, the high (low?) point for that was back when Watchdog went frothing at the mouth about it.

8 Likes

I rolled my eyes so hard my head hurt at this

I have no idea why Monzo closed my account but I am well paid and have a good job and so it’s anyone’s guess

Yeah because famously people with money don’t commit crime

8 Likes

I’ve just reached the point where J. Random Bloke from Resolver is quoted as saying he believes Monzo’s freezing is fully automated. :man_facepalming: It’s quite staggering to put an unsubstantiated claim from a third party who had nothing to do with said procedures in the report like that. Monzo staff here have repeatedly said that while the system may flag, all freezes are done by human review.

8 Likes

Ah I’ve been waiting for this article ever since the journalist joined that group to beg for people to come forward :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Like this guy :rofl:

https://community.monzo.com/t/i-am-worried-about-monzo-closing-my-account/115849/113?u=ordog

1 Like

When I was snooping that Facebook page, you’d read the stories about them been destitute blah blah. However some of them have there profiles fully open to public, living the high life but apparently can’t buy food :sweat_smile:

At least make it all believable

4 Likes

I see from the Guardian that Monzo are giving staff extra paid leave in the event of miscarriage/child bereavement!

This is to be applauded absolutely and I congratulate Monzo on making this available to staff. :wave:

1 Like

I saw this picture on an article about Android 11

2 Likes

37 posts were split to a new topic: Chris Skinner Blog - Monzo Growing Pains

It’s rather unfair on Starling don’t you think??

I really think that’s unfair to Starling. To drain their resources like that. If every one did this they would go out of Business? It’s hardly Cricket. Surely you could repay their efforts to help you regarding cheques by using there bank a bit more as a thanks.

If Starling thought it was an issue they could update their terms and conditions to stop it

3 Likes

It’s rather unfair on whatever secondary bank account you have just to use it as a cash-deposit-point-then-transfer-to Monzo, or a cheque-imaging-then-transfer-to-Monzo but I use a bank that easily accepts cash deposits and in-app cheque imaging for this very reason.

Research the best tools available. Research their shortcomings. Research the shortcoming workarounds and use them to enhance your financial direction.

6 Likes

Fortunately (or otherwise) there’s no contractual concept of ‘fair’ that binds banking customers in the same way as their isn’t for supermarket customers. People are going to take ‘the path of least resistance (or greatest benefit)’ and companies will try and find ways to profit (or minimise losses) from that.

7 Likes

You’re reading into something that isn’t there.

The key word in my post was primarily, not solely.

2 Likes

What’s unfair on Starling?

So an automated process is unfair on Starling to use. Yes I’m sure it’s got a cost attached to it and I’m guessing that cost is tiny in the grand scheme of things.

If this avenue was getting abused they could write easily restrict it, the fact the haven’t suggests it’s not an issue one bit.

I don’t doubt they have a clause like Monzo’s “we can close your account for any reason at two months’ notice” that can be used if they have a problem with any customers doing this.

Starling probably benefit as some will experience their service and switch to them permanently.

2 Likes