Monzo in the media

A good find there. That is quite the team, they’ve done very well so far and hopefully they’ll continue to do well.

7 Likes

Behind the paywall but an interesting read

5 Likes

Having criticised lack of visibility of TS over here, this is excellent to see.

Do I also detect a significantly different tone from the Times, too?

1 Like

Don’t make me have to get the laptop out to bypass the paywall.

Highlights please… I’m not interested that he gets up early :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Lots about TS (and yes he does get up early), then a more-balanced-than-usual bit on Monzo having had problems but that it’s not all doom and gloom. This is the crunchiest bit, I think:

Monzo’s revenue model … is “diversified across three buckets”. Bucket one is transaction payments when customers use their cards. Bucket two is what Anil calls “good” fees (as opposed to things like penalty charges) for Plus and Premium accounts, and marketplace products. The third is lending. “They are roughly equally weighted in terms of mindshare, focus and so on.”

I got the sense that the Times didn’t like (non-banker) Tom that much, and is warming to (banker) TS.

10 Likes

‘buckets’ there’s a hole in my bucket dear…

I’ll shut up now :rofl:

2 Likes

Good milestone :muscle:

17 Likes

Haven’t fully read this as yet, waiting for my break

1 Like

I guess the headline is factually correct, but 38% market share after market share ‘loss’! That’s still a big number and over twice the market share of the next biggest market share holder. According to those graphs :chart_with_upwards_trend::chart_with_downwards_trend:

8 Likes

I would look at the graph and say they are indicating over 40% …I prefer when graphs represent the article figures…naughty graph maker :slight_smile:

With Starling who would have thought sprinkling Govt. backed 100% guaranteed loans like confetti would have increased your customer base - time will tell if it was very astute of Starling to take up the offer

I’ll go off topic but it irritates me when people point at Starling and the loans as if it’s something bad. I’m sure they weren’t just gifted the opportunity because Anne knows someone in the government. It’s probably something that all banks could’ve applied for, but some didn’t. So you can’t blame Starling for grabbing an opportunity and seeing how it works out

9 Likes

I dont blame Starling at all for grabbing the opportunity to rocket fuel their business account growth , It looks like a sound decision , or very astute … whether it was something bad as I say time will tell …but you are right it is off topic , having said that the article is discussing the rise of others against Monzo , so do we only discuss Monzo in the context of the article because thats the OP heading …hmmm

1 Like

Not forgetting a fairly expensive advertising campaign.

Not to mention it’s referring to market share among digital banking rivals. Digital banking rivals like Pockit, Curve, etc.

https://youtu.be/VOf54UUOb54 this is a guy that has made some sense in the past but also said some silly things about pensions. What do people think of his analysis of monzo? It seems sound but surely if there was somthing to it mainstream media would have picked up on it? I’m about to go full monzo and this has made me think.

Hi! Welcome to the community!

I think he’s your average YouTube chap with an obvious bias trying to game the algorithms with clickbait titles for easy income. Numbers are easy to spin any which way to suit whatever narrative you’re trying to sell. I don’t watch this stuff.

I’d suggest you approach the sources of those numbers yourself, assimilate them objectively and form your own conclusions.

I make comparisons to Ocado all the time because I firmly believe they’re the closes representation of what Monzo is to the Banking industry. Ocado have been around for the longest time, and if you looked solely at the numbers, they would be easy to spin as if they are in real trouble too (Though maybe not so much during the pandemic).

When I looked at the numbers referenced in the video description the other day, I thought they were very good all things considered and painted an optimistic outlook, and I’m not the sort who would just blindly defend Monzo come what may. They’re a drastic improvement of where I felt Monzo were a year ago.

5 Likes

Monzo’s share of the market at one time was larger than the rest of the neobanks combined, as I recall. It would be surprising if it didn’t decline from that point.

tl;dr, it’s a non-issue.

6 Likes

Just from the description of the video I’m already rolling my eyes:

Behind the never-ending showcases of how many millions of customers they have and the rolling funding rounds that seem to close every few months, Monzo is losing a lot of money and the recent attempts at plugging that hole with paid accounts and lending doesn’t seem to be working.

Every few months? Where has he been looking? The past?

6 Likes

Going full Monzo …? up to you, for me personally I would keep another bank account as well …as a back up just in case… I have had lots of money in and out of Monzo over the past five years with very little issue

for me the glaring mistakes this guy was pontificating about …

He talks about the straight line growth of premium paid for accounts… being straight line, if not actually …“as he would expect with his expertise” … tailing off after the initial 6mth commitment …then at the end said "well who would buy a travel related insurance product during a pandemic "?? well his straight line guesstimate shows that increasing even though nobody is travelling , I would expect it to actually rapidly increase when we are …you know… actually able to travel :slight_smile:

The number of times he said he didnt know the figures … yet still seems able to know that Monzo are in trouble despite not even considering Business accounts , interchange…etc

It is just his clickbait moment about Monzo demonstrating his expertise whilst “not knowing the numbers” The investment round numbers, or amounts, or percentages. I seem to remember him saying Monzo was going bust last year as well having “drilled down into the figures” , maybe its an anniversary type thing with him

3 Likes

I had a scroll through. This isn’t their first clickbait moment either :wink:

Given that he’s never seen anyone talk about these issues at all, someone should probably point him in the direction of this community, where they have been discussed and argued to the death more than once.

6 Likes