Monzo in India 2018

I’m living here in Chennai, India and I think I have some useful information regarding using Monzo in India.

For all ATM’s in India, it seems that you need magstripe enabled to take cash out.
Unfortunately, nearly all ATM’s in India take a fee of 200 rupees or more (about £2.30) every time you take a withdrawal with an international card. This sucked for me as I use Monzo and Chennai isn’t a cashless city quite yet. However, I found one bank that doesn’t take an international card fee and that’s Canara Bank. I used Canara Bank ATM first time in Mumbai and was surprised it hadn’t taken a fee. Then checked if it was the same in the Canara Bank near my house in Chennai and it was. So if you are using Monzo in India and don’t want fees, try to find a Canara Bank!
Mostly all shops and restaurants take chip and pin and I’ve only had a few problems where that specific restaurant doesn’t take international card for whatever reason.
Overall, Monzo works great in India if you can work around the problems that India has to offer with using it. Enjoy!

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: :india: Monzo in India

You could continue contributing on these threads to keep things clean and easy to find for others.

1 Like