🇨🇳 Monzo in China [Wiki]

I have lived in china for a long time now and I have to say monzo is the only banking app not requiring a VPN to get push notifications or even log in. Even HSBC is blocked. Monzo is a life saver for this but go knows how they seem to be the only UK bank not blocked. Oh amex app is also not blocked which is good too.

Just want to point out that this is absolutely not true so people are not misled. Monzo, along with most major UK banks, work absolutely fine in China. Barclays, HSBC, RBS, Starling and NatWest definitely work.

This is fair enough.

No need for you to lie though about other brands/banks just because you prefer Monzo.

1 Like

Hello, can confirm this isn’t true. 2000 is the maximum you can top up in total. After you run out, that’s it. Multiple people have confirmed this.
From the Alipay Terms & Conditions "Bank of Shanghai shall limit the Prepaid Card purchase and recharge, with the minimum recharging limit of RMB 100 and the accumulative recharge amount shall not exceed RMB 2000. "

Sorry about that, I was the one who added the Alipay portion in, and that’s on me for not fully reading up on it (I have a Chinese bank account so I use “standard” Alipay and thus haven’t needed to actually go through this). I’ll go fix that.

No worries, dude! Just thought I’d flag it as I’m going to China on a business trip this week and some colleagues have confirmed the 2000CNY limit and just thought I’d let others know. Thanks for the update!

I’ll add in some instruction screenshots that Unicom put together to help others through the process.

Before that, anyone else can simply follow the instructions in the Alipay app by signing up and selecting International Version when prompted.