Monzo getting left behind

Not much to discuss really. Some banks have features that Monzo doesn’t but then Monzo has features that others don’t

3 Likes

The OP is the weirdest, ‘plucked out of nowhere’ list of random features. I mean, Starling’s profitability isn’t dependent on cheque imaging for gods sake, it makes money providing Banking As A Service. And Revolut’s USP isn’t even mentioned.

Remember, Monzo doesn’t even want to be a bank in a decade or so. Don’t get bogged down in the unimportant.

3 Likes

I recall the statement, but not what it would expect to be thereafter?

3 Likes

I’m curious about this too. The fact Monzo are a bank is the single reason I was willing to sign up and use them at all.

4 Likes

The CEO has always been open about wanting to be the Facebook for finance for a billion people. Monzo chose to get a UK banking licence as the best way of achieving this, and Tom Blom has said he can see Monzo not being just simply ‘a bank’ in the future.

It’s why one of the other founders recently went on the record as saying he regretted getting a banking licence, wondering if that had in fact been the right route after all, and it’s why you shouldn’t get worked up about having or not having cheque imaging, or whatever.

4 Likes

Not just a bank doesn’t mean not a bank

Think that was more to do with the extra requirements of the banking license

5 Likes

Sure, I take your point I just interpreted it the other way. (Source)

Challenger bank Monzo’s COO, Tom Foster-Carter, has said he’s “not so sure” the company needed to be a bank for its success, after saying its processes have been expensive, slow and heavy since securing its licence in 2017.

Foster-Carter says the fintech started out with the “strong hypothesis” that it needed to be a bank, but two years on the exec is questioning whether the challenger’s bank-first approach was the right one. With a tech-first mindset, it seemed to the audience at PayExpo London that the exec feels the company has drifted from the initial agility it was founded upon.

:man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Ah, that’s quite different. :smirk:

3 Likes

The ‘just’ was my ambiguity. I was (badly) paraphrasing my own memory of the article above.

1 Like

I did say that they were random features, and that i had probably missed some.
:grin: :grin: :grin:
But thanks for pointing that out :+1:

1 Like

Well, if you’re going to hypothesise, make the theory watertight.

You could just as easily have randomly said a whole bunch of stuff Monzo does do to make it look like Monzo is leading the way.

2 Likes

Could you perhaps provide some examples of Monzo exclusive features that others are lacking?

2 Likes

Get Paid Early; Bills Pots; Salary Sorter; bill splitting via a ‘tab’; utilising a large alternative network of locations for handling cash; pull payments from someone else’s bank account by using a URL.

Monzo pioneered the gambling block, the monzo.me link, proximity payments, paying a contact in your phone, instant notifications, crowdsourced data enrichment.

I mean, not a bad run when some of the plus points for other apps in the OP are ‘savings accounts’ and ‘interest’ – hardly earth shattering.

15 Likes

Or perhaps…
“You could just as easily have said a whole bunch of random stuff…”? :thinking:

(Just looking to take some heat off you @Ivan1954 :grin:).

2 Likes

At least mine are genuine innovations…

2 Likes

I appreciate that, thanks. Helps for referencing with the OP. Some of these just sound like fancier names for features others have too though.

I do echo OP. In many ways since Monzo launched version 3, it feels like they’ve been doing nothing outside of working on premium accounts. Revolut on the other hand, as an outsider, seem to be introducing new and exciting additions or improvements almost monthly.

2 Likes

Some of them might sound like that to you, but you specifically asked for “exclusive features others are lacking” and that whole first paragraph of stuff is exclusive to Monzo.

The second paragraph is stuff Monzo pioneered which has since been copied everywhere.

So, go ahead and make up your own narrative, ignore the evidence, I don’t care.

5 Likes

To be fair, Santander have had this for years. I am supporting be paid in the 1st, but had my money in my Santander account (very late ) yesterday.

There’s no theatre; it just appears in my account.

4 Likes

Seems like you care quite a lot, @j06 :smirk:

5 Likes

What evidence exactly?

• “Get Paid Early” - Even legacy banks offer this, and it’s often by default. They just don’t advertise it as a feature.

• Bill splitting - Another widely offered feature from other banks.

Bill pots are somewhat unique but not much different than other banks that let you have multiple accounts. Salary sorter is also unique but in implementation only, as other banks have automation tools. Together they’re just a more modern version of multiple accounts and standing orders.

5 Likes