Monzo for Android - Teardowns & Deep Dives 👨‍💻

Interesting.

So we can now add Geography to the reasons for account mis-parity? (un-parity?) :wink:

4 Likes

It’s natural for the US and UK to have different features, as they’re completely different products.

14 Likes

And we did all vote to remove it. :sweat_smile:

Let’s see if the US have the same vote in ~12 months time :speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

Yeah, it was said tongue-in-cheek, honest!

Although I’m curious as to why you’d develop things this way, are the differences THAT striking? Whilst I know the machinations of US vendors are a fair bit different, I can’t imagine why the app would need to be?

A conversation for a different thread though! :slight_smile:

I’d be interested in this too. Also, why can UK customers access US features?

Does that mean the reverse too? As I believe some things haven’t been officially released on the US accounts yet that we already have :thinking: So if I posted some deep links to UK things, could US people access it?

That’s only Android folks though, if you could.

1 Like

You know what? We get it. There’s a parity issue. Thanks for mentioning it. Again.

2 Likes

Do people get warned off posting the breakdowns on here? :thinking:

I don’t think so, a few Monzo staff have publicly commented that they find it fascinating what people find on here, I just think it’s a lot of work which is generously done by people in the community. The people that normally do them are probably just busy

5 Likes

I never did! :grin: And I was doing teardowns for over a year :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The only thing I ever chose to hold back, for 1 day, was the crowdfunding code back before that happened because I figured there was going to be a lot of press coverage & wouldn’t want to have stepped on any toes :yum: but whenever I’ve spoken to Monzo staff about it (before I started working here), they were all very happy for me/the community to be doing teardowns :hot_coral_heart:

18 Likes

Then you abandoned us :sob: :broken_heart:

9 Likes

Yes, significantly. Things like much higher cash usage, much lower contactless/chip and pin adoption, different attitudes towards tipping etc.

The reason behind this screen specifically is because it is very common to be paid bi-weekly or weekly in the US, unlike the UK, and we’re experimenting with approaches to help people budget around those pay cycles.

7 Likes

Pay cycles, that makes sense.

Cash usage, low contactless, are a puzzle, can’t imagine features that revolve around those that don’t apply to both sides of The Atlantic… tipping for sure though!

Not a complaint BTW, genuinely curious to the challenges you face.

1 Like

I’d also be curious why pay cycles should be US specific. If the work Monzo-side is done, why not make it UK too? I know I, for one, get paid weekly :man_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

Actually yes, I do too. Not quite sure how that skipped my attention (pre-caffeine brain be damned!).

Yes, for those of us who are paid fortnightly too.

3.21.0 has landed - no real visible changes, but sounds like lots under the hood…

Anyone got any insight? I might have to reinstall some tools on my laptop to take a look

1 Like

They definitely dropped some hints that there is some exciting stuff in the update. Will be good to see what tear down shows

1 Like

Really missing these tear downs if anybody fancies having a go… pwetty please

1 Like

Very disappointing.