Monzo for Android - Teardowns & Deep Dives šŸ‘Øā€šŸ’»

Probably just attempting to follow material design conventions, a ripple from the location the user tapped is the convention for buttons and other tappable items.

It is a little janky here though, it doesnā€™t seem to ripple over the entire button correctly when you tap a tab for it to switch to. It ripples correctly after that if you tap the same tab again though.

If you tap ā€˜Paymentsā€™, then ā€˜Scheduledā€™, then 'Payments, then ā€˜Scheduledā€™, thenā€¦ (repeat) watch the shaded area that is displayed. It changes shape and position.

To be rebellious, tap ā€˜Paymentsā€™, then ā€˜Scheduledā€™, then ā€˜Scheduledā€™, then ā€˜Scheduledā€™, then ā€˜Paymentsā€™ - you get the idea.

And;

The Macro Budgeting feature looks like the Pulse Graph is about to return in another guise :chart_with_downwards_trend:

2 Likes

Yh, I had a play around with it before replying. If I switched between tabs it would just highlight the spot where Iā€™d tapped for a short time. If I tapped the active tab again (say, already on scheduled and tap scheduled again), it ripples correctly out to the edges of the tab.

The former is somewhat similar to what Iā€™ve seen in personal projects when I accidentally had actual logic running on the UI thread which stopped the animation of the ripple.

I hadnā€™t actually tried flipping back and forth between the tabs quickly though, donā€™t get any ripple at all alot of the time while doing that :smiley: it is extremely janky :man_facepalming:

What is this macro budgeting of which you speak? :thinking:

3 Likes

Hard to know exactly what they are going to do with that

Not sure if thisā€™ll ever see the light of day (or if itā€™ll be changed)

EDIT: But it did work on Joint Accounts :+1:

9 Likes

:eyes::eyes::heart_eyes:

Whereā€™s that in the app? :confused:

1 Like

Looks like it might be a new summary page of some sort :eyes:

Itā€™s a deep link; monzo://macro_budgeting
Usually entered as a URL via Slack on the same phone/device which runs the Monzo app

4 Likes

Ahhh ok, I just dug through the app and wondered why I couldnā€™t find it. I do this every time and forget about feature flags and deep links :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

It could possibly be part of the ā€˜plusā€™ (paid-for) feature set?

3 Likes

Possibly. Will the pulse graph work like the old one for tracking historical balance is more of an interest. Doesnā€™t look like it currently

Iā€™m really excited about improvements to the budgeting stuff. With open banking integration thereā€™s some good opportunities to help people tackle debt from other sources. And to build up savings.

I have a feeling (or desire?) all users will get insight/overview stuff like this and plus will bring in YNAB-like tools. Which seems cool.

1 Like

Teardown due on Android?

1 Like

Iā€™ve created a separate topic for us to offer feedback and thoughts on the macro budgeting feature - or just to chat about it!

1 Like

The shaded area does not act strangely for me!
Latest iOS on iPhone 8

Sorry to be a party pooper but this screen is being developed for the US account.

12 Likes

Interesting.

So we can now add Geography to the reasons for account mis-parity? (un-parity?) :wink:

4 Likes

Itā€™s natural for the US and UK to have different features, as theyā€™re completely different products.

14 Likes