Monzo Decision Making

As ever the law can dictate how people act. It cannot even get close to dictating what people think. As a result, just about anything can be a personal, cultural or religious viewpoint.

Yes. You’re all off-topic. Naughty.

1 Like

Would anyone think it OK for someone to refuse to drive a bus with a black person depicted on the side? Or a woman? Or someone in a wheelchair?

No?

It’s the same thing. And it’s bigotry, as well as being utterly ridiculous.

7 Likes

That’s an entirely different narrative than @Ivan1954’s original point, and a bad analogy, in my opinion. What you’re describing is discrimination, opposing pride is not. I fundamentally believe in freedom of expression, including the freedom to offend. I despise pride for many reasons, non of which are homophobic, as such, it should not be forced upon anyone.

2 Likes

Nothing of the sort, as @N26throwaway said, what you are describing is discrimination.

To give another example, would you expect a staunch Labour supporter to actively promote the Conservatives, or say a vegan to promote a steakhouse???

This seems to be waaaay off topic :eyes:

4 Likes

No one has ever been killed for being Labour, or a vegan.

I’m going to stop replying to this topic as it’s not even vaguely related to the original post or in any way constructive.

Jo Cox MP?

8 Likes

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’d say pretty relevant :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging: :man_shrugging:

Completely agree. These sort of precepts contribute to monzo’s company values, and in turn will impact their decision making. I think it could make for an interesting discourse, assuming people are able and willing to conduct themselves in a calm and sympathetic manor as well as being open to listening to opposing points of view.

1 Like

Hey folk, we’re way off topic here.

If you really must (and I hope you don’t) discuss equality, diversity or associated issues, it’s time for a new thread.

7 Likes

Can you link to this?

1 Like

User 800 here. I agree with this post wholeheartedly - I feel like Monzo is fast becoming ‘master of none’ and it is heartbreaking.

I used to excitedly look at that new feature roadmap on that Trello board they had, the new stuff listed on their ‘making monzo’ page is pretty tame and there is zero detail aside from general things like ‘add mortgages’ or ‘see your credit card balance’ that don’t inspire confidence.

I think the app redesign was a car crash, I consider myself tech savvy and I feel like I both have less of a grasp on where my finances are, and it is far harder to navigate features (a view shared by all the friends I convinced to switch).

The features that were once so cool, like transaction notifications and card freezing, are now much more commonplace. As a money management tool, Monzo are ok for a bank but others (like Emma) are now better overall and I therefore use that to get a true feel for my finances (and do the stuff Monzo was supposed to do, like energy tarrif comparisons). As much as I dislike them, Curve’s ability to move transactions around from card to card has actually helped me stay out of my overdraft and stay below 50% credit on cards. Both apps providing real value, i’m not sure what value Monzo is providing above what a regular bank does - it’s fees and policies are basically the same as any other Bank’s now.

On ethics and transparency, they seem to have taken a step back, which again is a bummer. It feels like money pressures and rapid expansion are to blame.

I want to care again, i’m an investor and an advocate for Monzo - but i’m finding it increasingly hard to recomend them over other apps out there.

15 Likes

I get your observations, but much of what you’ve described was probably inevitable. Legacy banks are getting into, or moving towards, instant notifications. That, after all, was the big deal when mobile banks came along.

There are features within the Monzo app which remain unique - getting paid early for one. But I think the appetite to deliver a truly different banking experience has waned somewhat. The lack of attention to detail and absence of focus / deadlines is a worry.

The real world pressures of balance sheets and resilience have taken precedence.

One of the primary issues for Monzo seems to me to be around its usage. I may be wrong but it still feels like it’s primarily a vehicle for spending and less about being a substantive bank (though you’ll find testimonials from those who’ve gone “Full Monzo”).

Monzo set out to be a place for a young demographic - and the forum is testament to it. Problem is, it still feels exactly that - notably, of course, within this forum, but also in the less-than-serious looking app which increasingly looks to be a collection of gimmicks. Fun to talk about but that’s all.

As far as ethics and transparency are concerned, they feel like a distraction and fodder for the forum rather than anything else. Monzo is neither fish nor fowl now and your concerns are well put.

4 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Get Paid Early - General Chat

You have to concede, Monzo is very good at marketing.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.