Monzo Current Account Counter

Yes, should be next week if there’s no major issues that crop up!

1 Like

It’s live in the staff app and I’m pretty sure they were discussing pushing it to beta earlier today :tada:

There’s a cute little badge coming to your Payments screen too. :mondo:

Hey @BethS, will that beta be landing today?

Literally said at 5:42 it has been pushed to the Play Store Beta channel.

Let google do it’s magic.

1 Like

The cheque guarantee function of the card had nothing to do with the debit card networks. So merchants that didn’t accept cards could still accept cheques. They would write the card details on the back of the cheque and it was guaranteed to be paid out by the bank.

So, many small merchants accepted cheque with a guarantee card but could not accept card payments (or chose not to because of the cost at the time). I think that technically the cheque guarantee card could have been completely separate from your debit card, but for convenience they were combined.

2 Likes

350,000 Current Accounts :tada:

8 Likes

congratulations, and these numbers 7 weeks before switch off of the pre paid card - from 20,000 CAs in November to 350,000 CAs in Feb - 3 months, well done :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also not all debit cards were cheque guarantee cards… I had a Solo card for a while that wasn’t one (it was a Switch* card for deadbeats).

• For the younger viewers, Switch eventually ended up as Mastercard, so you have a Switch card now!
1 Like

Didn’t switch become maestro debit before moving to MasterCard debit?

Yes. And yes again so that Yes is 20 chars.

1 Like

Yes, but the UK Maestro was somekind of hybrid between switch and the maestro scheme, I think. The pure scheme is most popular in Germany, I think…

3 Likes

Yes. UK Maestro cards ex-switch came up differently to French, German, Dutch and Estonian Maestro cards at merchants as they seemed to have two schemes Maestro UK and Maestro International rather than just one scheme Maestro. The scheme name printed differently on receipts and merchants seemed to be charged different fees by some POS operators

I thought Netherlands, but they probably equal in ranking on this issue. Having the option of an additional Maestro card alongside your Mastercard Debit is great if you travel to these 2 countries regularly for work or leisure

I remember going to Italy and trying to use my Maestro Debit Card in loads of places that accepted Maestro but it not working because it wasn’t a Maestro card! It came up as ‘Maestro UK’ - I was later told that this was completely separate and different even though all the branding and documentation said it was the same and could be used anywhere that accepted Maestro.

That was a stressful holiday.

I also had a Maestro Debit Card that came up as Switch and didn’t work anywhere outside the UK either.

But then my original Switch card that had the Maestro logo on the back did work in Europe.

They just totally cocked it up when Maestro took over/merged properly with Switch.

2 Likes

They also had a Cirrus logo in the back too, to show they worked in that MasterCard owned ATM network

Didn’t Electron go to switch or was that just straight to Visa debit?

Or did Electron go to VPay?

According to Wiki it is still going

1 Like

I’ve got one.

2 Likes

:monzo: Monzo will hit 375,000 current accounts today, one week after 350,000.

7 Likes