Monzo and the Pride flag

Love it! :smiley:

Sorry, didnā€™t want to hijack this thread. Itā€™s a very interesting read.

I donā€™t think you need to ask Brenda. Apparently you can just be some person who ā€œfeels they can bring something to itā€, ask a bunch of randoms on the internet to bung you fifty quid each, and then tell Monzo this represents an entire nation now and would they please mind changing their icon thank you very much the community has spoken.

4 Likes

Speaking of which, where is the OP? :confused:

Popped in 13 hours back?

3 Likes

I never got asked. My partner never got asked. No queer person I know was consulted on this so I struggle to understand how you can say itā€™s ā€œwhat has been decided on by the communityā€.

2 Likes

I just donā€™t get it. The rainbow flag, for me, stands for diversity. Not ā€œlesbians and gays who are cis gender and whiteā€. But diversity. Including all who identify and align under the ā€œLGBT+ā€ umbrella.

The chevron is surplus to requirement and as others have pointed out has the potential to marginalise other groups who arenā€™t being singled out in the new design.

At least the designer made a nice tidy sum on Kickstarter and from his online store, eh? I notice on his website it states only a ā€œportionā€ of profits go to charity, not all profits.

Edit: so yeah, I donā€™t see the point of changing the app icon to further a ā€œmovementā€ which is in my view pointless, marginalising and potentially lining the pockets of the designer.

11 Likes

Is it just me or does it look like someone is taking a :poop: on the LGBT flag, albeit in a very abstract way?

Iā€™m flying the Philly flag now

because I kneel with my Asian, black and other minority ethnic people, and because racism is, disgustingly, still endemic in the LGBTQ+ community (as if we all donā€™t have enough battles to fight!) but thatā€™s because I view those two movements coming together at the moment.

Eh, unconstrained self-identification never ends so a stripe for every identity is completely impractical and will never end. Just sayingā€¦

1 Like

Monzo but with the asexual flag.

Depends on who you ask if asexual people are LGBT, I think as a asexual person we are but go figure.
I donā€™t really care I just prefer not to be called queer.

I hang around with a load of femboys on twitter so Iā€™m most likley not the best example.

1 Like

Iā€™m mostly on your wavelength here. I too would probably be considered asexual, but my sexuality is not something Iā€™ve ever explored (I donā€™t like people and Iā€™m quite content with being alone), and Iā€™m not fond of labels so I donā€™t really care. Iā€™m just me.

I think their comment was playing on the stereotype typically associated with queers in that they have an eye for design, so I donā€™t think any offence or generalisation of the whole community of people who fall under the spectrum represented by the flag was intended.

1 Like

Iā€™ve liked being alone but Iā€™ve recently formed a close friendship with someone but its like a very close friends sort of situation. (Talking to each other, drinking and smoking together and just having a good time)

Both of us have no interest in sex.

I like being alone alot of the time and pretty much never talk, some people have said this is due to my abusive home situation but iā€™m not too sure. Coming out is not a option.

1 Like

Throwing my hat into the ring:

The pride flag is designed to encompass all.
The Philadelphia flag (6 tone rainbow plus black and brown stripes) is designed to encompass all, with a specific focus on BAME LGBTQ+ people and anti-racism.
The progress flag (one being discussed here) is designed to be a retrospective on where weā€™ve been (in most western world countries many LGBTQ issues have been resolved. Not all but a lot) and what we still have to do (anti racism, and supporting the fight that is still ongoing for our trans siblings). Thatā€™s why itā€™s a chevron - itā€™s indicating the march forwards and itā€™s why itā€™s the progress flag, as weā€™ve not finished yet.

None of these flags were ever designed to overwrite the others, theyā€™re all equally valid and important for completely different reasons and are appropriate in different contexts.
The 6 tone pride flag is just as important as itā€™s always been and is still widely accepted as the flag that represents the entire LGBTQ+ community. The progress flag is important, but was never meant to be a replacement for the 6 tone rainbow, and to try and push this is naive.

side note on 'Community'

side note that weā€™re a community, not an organisation, not anything else. Someone making a flag design or an article or a mandate of their personal beliefs is not a statement on everyoneā€™s thoughts, just as these are just my own - but reflective of those in my community

Bearing all these things in mind, an 11 colour flag is not the appropriate choice of flag for an app icon. The monzo icon doesnā€™t need to show colours of certain types to be shown as progressive, and not doing this isnā€™t a bad thing. Thereā€™s potentially a lot of harm here as it erases a lot of work done within the community in the past

side note from a design perspective

Taking my queer jeweled tiara off and putting my thinking cap on - it just doesnā€™t work the same. 6 colours is a LOT and slapping more colours onto something, anything, but especially something this small is usually a bad decision as it all gets lost in the wash. The rainbow flag is elegant as not only is it simpler in terms of colours and design, but itā€™s also so basic you can reduce it down to JUST A COLOUR SCHEME. Thatā€™s why you get pride branded everything, and itā€™s why monzo can make a pride app icon that looks distinctly pride but also distinctly monzo. The progress design simply does not have the range to be applied to anything else other than as a background, and thatā€™s tacky. A 6 tone rainbow will always be prettier and work to serve its purpose better.

To close out, Iā€™d like to reference a video discussing the growing use of this flag, and certain members of the community pushing it as the One True Flagā„¢ - https://youtu.be/axzDqOifZ08

7 Likes

And now we have the real reason for the redesign.

If it was pride org (Is that a thing?) doing it themselves and the money goes towards their charity etc etc then thatā€™s great, someone shouldnā€™t be taking a cut from this sort of thing.

2 Likes

Testflight release today has updated pride icon:

Great, so now Monzo are actively discriminating against groups of people. Should have left it with the rainbow - that covers EVERYONE. Would love to hear the justification for discriminating against people.

3 Likes

A bandwagon has been jumped on.

/grumpy

1 Like

Waitā€¦How does the new flag which supports more people now actively discriminates against others? Just slightly confused about it all.

1 Like

There is already a long thread about thisā€¦ it might even be this one.

Short version is that the rainbow already covers EVERYONE. Once you start adding black and brown and trans and so on, you are inadvertently discriminating against groups which are not specifically featured by not including them.

The new flag can not possibly ā€˜support more peopleā€™ because the previous one already supported EVERYONE :slight_smile:

Oh, and lets not forget that the designer of the flag now sells products featuring it for profit. Scum. He created it to make money, not because he cared IMO.

5 Likes

As Rob said, the colours of the rainbow didnā€™t actively represent any one group - they represented everyone.

By virtue of adding colours to actively represent specific subsets of the whole, you are, by consequence, actively excluding all other members of the group.

Now itā€™s the Trans and BAME LGBTQ+ flag with six pretty colours and not the LGBTQ+ flag

Edit 1: some changes to help clarity

Edit 2: I, for one, will sadly change my app icon back. Good thing about it is that the community isnā€™t one organisation and weā€™re not forced to adopt just one flag just because some guy somewhere raised a bunch of money. We can chose what symbol represents us. I have chosen the six-coloured rainbow

5 Likes