Mobile networks

Probably about as customer focused as I expected O2 to be.

4 Likes

Can anyone recommend any MVNOs which provide global roaming passes? By this I mean add-ons you can purchase to be able to use your UK allowances outside Europe for a fixed period.

I think all the main networks have this type of add-on available, but it seems to be less common amongst MVNOs. Amongst MVNOs, Iā€™m only aware of VOXI (who have a multi-day global roaming pass) and Sky Mobile (who have a daily global roaming pass). However, I havenā€™t looked at all MVNOs so curious if anyone is aware of others?

iD Mobile includes roaming with all plans for free

Thatā€™s inclusive Europe/EU roaming only. Lots of MVNOs have this, but Iā€™m specifically interested in MVNOs where you you can buy passes to lower cost of roaming outside Europe.

1 Like

Ah sorry I misread

Thereā€™s none as far as I know. But Three PAYG service allows roam like home across the globe still, so youā€™d just purchase a bundle and it should work globally in the 70 odd countries I think it was.

Capped at 12gb though.

1 Like

I got an Airalo eSIM for my upcoming US trip, $26 for 10GB for 30 days.

My standard provider is Smarty (runs off Three network) and last time I went to the US I had to buy addons, but they still had a hard limit of how much I could use that I had to contact them to remove (which was not ideal seeing ad I didnā€™t have any data to do anything about it).

Once I found out about Airalo tho, that seems to be the way to go.

1 Like

If youā€™re off to the US and have an iPhone, might be worth looking at a T-Mobile eSIM.

2 Likes

Voxi has extended my free unlimited music data for another two months. Pretty good considering I already pay Ā£10 for 45 GB plus unlimited social media.

1 Like

I am using KeepGo as a second sim (esim) and used it in Turkey as well as the UK on my iPhone.

You just buy the data and the areas you want roaming and there is no monthly. The data expires after 365 days if you dont top up at least 100mb, if you top up anything it resets the count.

If you want an extra 3gb (must buy 1gb min) you can use my referral: Keepgo Referral Program

Just dont put the code in until you buy the sim, you add the code to the sim in the control panel after pruchase and it will add the 3gb, if you use any sign up offer to buy the sim you cant get the 3gb.

If you decide to get it and have any questions drop me a PM.

3 Likes

@Carlo1460 @Orinoco @chistery @l33t buying a separate sim for travel is something Iā€™ve done in the past. Iā€™m not massively keen on it though as it means removing my main sim (making it harder for people to reach me) or carrying a second device. Not a massive issue I suppose, but in more recent trips Iā€™ve been using roaming passes with my main network, which Iā€™ve preferred for convenience.

1 Like

If you phoner can handle an eSim you can have both your physical sim active and the travel eSim active at the same time.
I have my Three sim on and my KeepGo right now, abroad I just told calls to go through my Three and data from the KeepGo.

What phone do you have?

1 Like

Didnā€™t know that. I have a Pixel 6A, which supports eSIM.

If I have my UK sim and a travel sim installed, will I be able to use the travel sim for data associated with WhatsApp usage? (my WhatsApp account is tied to my UK number).

Yes - I did that recently on a trip to Italy on iOS anyway.

Planning on doing the same later this week on my trip around the Baltics.

2 Likes

Should be fine, I donā€™t think the mobile number is used at network level, thatā€™s just your account essentially.

3 Likes

I have my mobile number set up by esim linked to WhatsApp etc, but then have a physical SIM on another network for data and have my calls forward to it as the coverage is sometimes better when out and about on the other SIM.

WhatsApp never checks if your number is actually active to be using the app, except on first setup to verify your number.

1 Like

That seems very, very expensive!

The keepgo sim doesnā€™t even have a number attached. Itā€™s data only.

1 Like

Does anyone have some actual info regarding this o2 outage?
Just curious really.

First Giffgaff say itā€™s just texts then they update with calls and now saying it also affects data, zero comms from o2.

No issues here for data, but calls donā€™t work.

Did they post something somewhere?