Meet the next generation: Monzo for Under 16s šŸŽ‰

Why not?

If nothing else, it gives it visibility for you to move it as you see fit.

3 Likes

Iā€™d like childrenā€™s accounts be in their own section. Previously I had regular pots with virtual cards for my children. One is still there as too young for an account. Would really like to be able to group them all together still rather than have them live along with my other external accounts (when not pinned).

2 Likes

Itā€™s not your account, it should be in a different section.

Perfect! :smiley:

I can see where youā€™re coming from but it is ENTIRELY mine.

So can money be added to the account by grandparents for example? I know it was suggested that there would be a workaround

I filled out the form linked to by the first post in this thread on the first day, but havenā€™t received an invitation email. Was I supposed to sign up in app as well?

1 Like

I believe it has to be sent to your account, and then moved into your kids account.

My child is 8 (younger is about to turn 5 so expecting a year of complaints about the older one getting something he canā€™t have yet) and we donā€™t allow own smartphone and donā€™t plan to got some time until mid/late teens. Not quite ready to upgrade the Mac mini to be able to run iOS apps there which would be the next best option.

Are children able to use the account without their own phone?

1 Like

You shouldnā€™t act like itā€™s your account, while youā€™re the overseer, it is registered to the child, no? Monzo should treat the child as the account holder and teach them about money. Revolut has a specific kids section for it, too - it should be incorporated into Monzo the same way.

1 Like

:wave: No problem, your child doesnā€™t need a device. They still get a card and you can oversee their spending in your app :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Last time I checked, Monzo have restricted their app from running on the Mac. Unfortunately as that was the top app I wanted to run when I got an M1 Mac :sob:

2 Likes

Yes and no.

The money legally belongs to you. Itā€™s clearly outlined in the steps for creating the account.

1 Like

Iā€™m not disagreeing with the legality part, Iā€™m disagreeing with the part where you completely control it and donā€™t provide a way for the child to learn themselves. You should not be treating Monzo for Under 16s as another account, i.e, like another Monzo current account - it should be separate and treated as so.

Ah yes, lets kids run wild with money. What could go wrong there.
Happy Lisa Simpson GIF by The Simpsons|100%x100%

1 Like

Thatā€™s surely up to each parent(s) to decide how theyā€™re teaching their children about money?

Not sure a 6 year olds money shouldnā€™t be heavily managed. A 15 year old would be different but this account has to work for the whole range of ages and parents.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think you understood what I was trying to say, or perhaps, I wasnā€™t clear enough. My intention was to highlight how it should be a separate account which is not meant for you and, instead, only for the child. Apologies for the confusion.

1 Like

Mine was a joke apologies. I get what your saying but it isnā€™t for you, itā€™s just so you can keep tabs on them.

Hi all, thanks so much for your feedback (and patience) today! Itā€™s been great to see the accounts being created, and weā€™re so excited to hear more feedback as you (and your kids) start using the accounts!

As I mentioned before, thereā€™s more still to come and weā€™re really looking forward to sharing it with you. Please keep the feedback coming over the next few weeks as youā€™re using the account, and let us know what other features youā€™d like to see.

13 Likes

As someone who will never have a child, how do I get one of the blue cards?

5 Likes