MasterCard Adds Fingerprint Sensors to Payment Cards

The main reason it can’t be done though is because you have to set up the fingerprints for the card in a “secure enrolment centre” - i.e. a branch.

1 Like

I am sure they could issue some new kind of pin sentry device that can enroll users?

Yep, that too.

Why though? I don’t think it’s worth it and I wouldn’t be comfortable with such a card, for security reasons.

MasterCard have a huge manual of rules as to what sort of room and building etc cards can be produced in. It would not be possible to issue these Fingerprint Scanning cards in the Monzo offices. They would need a secure building where the biometric enrolement would be done.

1 Like

I don’t see this card taking off tbh

2 Likes

It could eventually be done just like Metro Bank, and potentially could be enrolled on the card the first time you use it - there’s lots of potential ways of doing it in the future.

Metro Bank premises meet MasterCard standards, though the personalisation of the card and the programming of the PIN take place in different areas of the building due to the different security standards specified.

The Metro branch near me have two printers I think both of which are at the front of the branch (left side and right side) then they just take the cards and you go to the nearest terminal which could be next to the printer.

That may be the case for a Metro branch, but as has been explained Monzo premises do not meet the standards required by MasterCard for issuing the cards in their office. This has also been confirmed by Monzo staff in a previous Open Evening. Things like is the company in a building on they are the sole users of or is the building shared by various occupants, even how close is the nearest tree, all play a part. If you ever need a cure for insomnia the rules are as thick as a Yellow Pages