Martin Lewis Financial Education Textbook

5 Likes

My 15 year old daughter needs this!

2 Likes

I :heart: Martin Lewis

3 Likes

Canā€™t stand the guy but itā€™s a very generous donation.

Interesting it was only to cover education in England and not UK wide however Scotland does already have this built in to the curriculum so I guess other nations and regions already do?

4 Likes

Itā€™s already part of the NI curriculum as well so youā€™re probably right :+1:

2 Likes

Martin Lewisā€™s documentary is well worth a watch (available on catch-up):

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week43/martin-lewis-10-things-your-kids-need-know

I didnā€™t expect to be emotionally moved by his life story, but it is surprisingly powerful stuff.

2 Likes

My wife need this!!

3 Likes

I wish I had a better understanding of the power of compound interest when I left school.

I think I had learnt about it, but didnā€™t really grasp its significance until several years later.

4 Likes

I need this. :joy:

By the way the textbook is available for free as a PDF too. :+1:t2:

7 Likes

This man :ok_hand:

Not only has he paid for a bunch of textbooks and teachers guides to be delivered to English state schools, but heā€™s provided a free PDF version online.

Would have been preferable not to have it this way, and it been executed properly on the national curriculum though.

5 Likes

As you say, should be part of the National Curriculum but at least this is the step in the right direction.

When I was at school, we had one lesson on Banking or Finance in our ā€œLifeskillsā€ lessons and NatWest came in, but it was just a ploy for them to sneakily open a bank account for every kid in the class! ā€œWeā€™re practising filling forms inā€ they said, two weeks later we all had a bank account we didnā€™t want or need without our parents present!

Sure theyā€™d be some serious litigation if it happened now!

3 Likes

We were supposed to be the generation with the information at our fingertips, driving down the cyber information super highway! This is the sort of thing I needed as a kid, and through my 20s! While Martin Lewis has said it isnā€™t perfect and not 100% how he would do it, but it is meeting the guidelines set by the curriculum, which is a lot more than I had in school.

1 Like

Fantastic idea, wish something like this existed when I was in school.
Not sure if itā€™s now built into the Welsh curriculum?

I believe it is. Basically this is only for England as the rest of the regions have already built it in to their curriculumsā€¦

I remember in primary school the bank of Scotland would come in once a week and we would have our paying in books and we would deposit our pocket money and stuff!

Thanks for sharing this video. Itā€™s very helpful and useful. I think that we need specific classes in schools that will teach kids money management. For me, itā€™s crucial that kids now to spend and save money.

Right now Iā€™m working on a project for https://edubirdie.com/plagiarism-checker and this book is very helpful for my research.

Anyone see Martin Lewis break down on TV talking about fraud and his defamation case against Google and Facebook?

Moving stuff. You donā€™t have to like him personally but heā€™s a good man, trying his best to help people.

1 Like

Yeah. I just wish he had more to say about Monzo, he only ever seems to talk about/push Starling.

He has a lot of influence in the UK and so it would be good to get him promoting Monzo more.

From a purely banking customer perspective, Starling is a better proposition for many. Thereā€™s interest on account balances, international transfers, unlimited foreign ATM withdrawals etc. Iā€™d recommend them over Monzo if I were a financial journalist.

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget free cash deposits :grinning:

1 Like

He did loads for Monzo, he made it the best free travel card in the world where people would only use it for travel, smash the free ATM usage and never use it again :joy_cat:

1 Like