Marks and Spencer Bank

What is everyone’s experience of the M&S Credit Card? It has a huge and very loyal user base (2m+), but not amongst this community it seems? It is offering 5% cashback to new cardholders, which is as good as the best of them if you spend in M&S.

1 Like

A shame it is only 5% for the first 6 months. After that, it probably wouldn’t be much use to me given I can get 1% with NatWest rewards anyway

I don’t actually have an M&S Credit Card but I do have the app as I have an old savings account with them. Since it’s a niche bank, I’ve decided to comment anyway because you may not get many responses!

The app is fine, as it’s a copy of HSBC, and you do get notifications for the credit card (although not for any of their other products) and chat sessions.

You can contact them via phone and chat, which is helpful, and they have online banking which is also a copy of HSBC’s platform, so reasonably OK. There’s no support in M&S Stores any more if physical banking is important to you (probably not, as a Monzo forumite, but worth mentioning just in case).

Interestingly, despite being a wholly-owned subsidiary of HSBC, they do have a separate FSCS allowance as they are a legally-separate bank.

I personally am not interested in the credit card because I’m not close to an M&S Food and I don’t really think opening a new card effectively just for a time-limited offer is worth it, but you may think otherwise. Their cards do also have Apple Pay support and tie-ins with Sparks, which may or may not be worth it to you.

Basically nothing that special, but also nothing really wrong with them as far as I can see.

Lol. I recently opened one for a nineteen month interest free period on purchases.

It’s fine. It’s a credit card, they all do much the same.

1 Like

Well that’s more of a decent chunk of time, so makes sense.

6 months isn’t very long, especially if you only use M&S occasionally!

I don’t use m&s at all, this was for all purchases.

Fair enough - I just mean that, for an offer like the M&S one, personally I wouldn’t view applying for another card as worth it but I see why you would see a long 0% purchases card as attractive (and it is much more flexible).

It’s a decent rewards card for shopping in M&S, you get points vouchers every quarter that redeem to £24 worth of vouchers, so adding in the points you’d get for spend you can get vouchers for over £100 a year.

1 Like

Oh right - is this in addition to points that you get when you spend?

1 Like

Yes, I think it’s 1 point per £1 in M&S and 1 point per £5 elsewhere, and then these ones are coupons you have to scan. You get 3x 300 points for food and 3x 500 points for clothing and home. Scan when you shop and you get a statement every quarter and they convert to £ vouchers along with any other points you’ve accrued. I only use mine in M&S but I can get the full £24 from the coupons if I go and buy a tshirt or pack of socks or something to meet the clothing spend.

2 Likes

Not sure what the points rate is for M&S credit cards but you might be better off with a Pluxee card for the 4% Cashback if you’re a regular shopper at M&S

Rather proved my point there by describing my NatWest card. Oops. Sorry. :face_with_peeking_eye: