Love the ☪️ on Monzo notifications

Congratulations on missing the entire point, and to say “it’s just an emoji” may be incredibly offensive to some.

1 Like

It’s not just an emoji, Monzo have said as much themselves in a post in this thread.

2 Likes

Except it literally is just an emoji and getting worked up over it is silly :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The only people I can imagine being offended by the use of an emoji in a notification (it’s not even permanent, hello?) are the perpetually offended types. You know the ones, they constantly wear that look as if they’ve just stood in :poop:

3 Likes

Some good spirited ad homenim on display here, classy.

If it’s “just an emoji”, then it’s equally not a big deal to not display it at all, or give the option to switch it off. Why should I have an Islamic Crescent, which in any case is rejected by many Muslim scholars, appear every single time I make a transaction with Monzo? There’s no reason to force it, unless it’s not “just an emoji”, as you say.

2 Likes

I may have missed something, was someone offended? I didn’t see that post.

I’ve not seen anyone getting worked up? But Monzo have also said it’s not ‘just’ an emoji and that it’s deliberate and with meaning.

3 Likes

Islamic banking is specifically different, so there is a genuine need for Islamic banks: Islamic Banking and Finance Definition: History and Example

So far as I know, no other religion requires specific banking, especially not Christian.

1 Like

Religion is pretty much the most divisive topic in the entire world… How are people surprised it’s an issue here?

6 Likes

This is brilliant Monzo! Keep spreading the love and don’t stop for some haters. One day they will be on the right side and credit will go to organisations like you. Much love!

3 Likes

I’m definitely offended by it. What’s the deal with the icon having a gradient on the background?

Looks like an iOS app icon from a few years back.

2 Likes

Well accounts yes, banks not necessarily, but to be honest I don’t believe it to be an issue. Christians may not have specific rules around money but do hold values like most, so you could see a Christian valued bank which would also be fine. But we’re probably off topic a little.

I think my point is monzo can do what they like like any bank can within the law, but monzo are going for the whole inclusive thing it’ll inevitably bite them when they have to draw the line somewhere.

Indeed, it’s equally not a big deal to not display it at all. Which is why the forum doesn’t have a post everyday railing about there not being an emoji for whatever the occasion of the day is. Because it’s just an emoji

It doesn’t appear every time you make a transaction. It wasn’t even for a whole day, it was a for a few hours.

It would be tricky. It’s not just about the account, but the bank and where it invests its money. It would be difficult to really monitor and check there were no investments related to alcohol or gambling or pork. It’s not just a matter of an account that doesn’t hold interest.

There are literally whole degrees studied just on Islamic banking. It’s truely it’s own field within the banking sector.

Christian values… well, I don’t honestly know what they would be.

Again, if it’s just an emoji, why is it there? Shouldn’t it at least be optional? Just because it isn’t displayed so prominently doesn’t mean it isn’t unwanted or unnecessary.

Further, you seem to be ignoring that Monzo themselves, in this very thread, have said it’s not “just an emoji”. It’s an intentional gesture of inclusion that was done with meaning.

2 Likes

I’m a free thinker and I don’t mind that these emojis pop up around holidays and special events. After all, it only appears in my notifications- it’s not like I actually see them when I search in my transactions (which I would then have words with Monzo).
You see santa emojis at Christmas and pumpkins at Halloween too, every now and then there’s a fun little emoji and I think it’s nice that they’re doing something for a day that might be meaningful to others. It’s not like Monzo is forcing everyone to convert to a certain religion. I’d even venture to say a good proportion of people don’t even recognise it. If

7 Likes

There fairly transparent for the most part because we live in a western Christian society so probably the values you were brought up with for the most part :smile:

1 Like

Correct - what could be classed as “British” or “Western” values have predominantly been shaped by the influence of Christianity. My other half is very anti all religion but she always adds the caveat that Christianity indirectly formed who she is today.

1 Like

Honestly? What I’m about to write is slightly embarrassing for me to admit. But it’s another viewpoint on this thing I think should be mentioned, as I’m surely not the only person who thought this:

I used my card at a corner shop yesterday, a place I don’t normally go to. When the alert popped up with the emoji at the front, I thought there was a bug or merchant enrichment fail of some kind, so I was tapping into the transaction trying to see where it was so I could report it. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

So basically a building society.

I said “I didn’t know” not because I have no concept of them being partially my own values being British, but because I don’t know what would define a bank in the UK as being “Christian” in values more than we already have.

We need Islamic banks because we are not an Islamic country and therefore our banks are not designed around Islamic values.

We don’t need Christian banks because the banks we have are, by most accounts, “Christian” banks.

1 Like

And what exactly is the right side?

2 Likes