Link 16-25 Railcard to get 1/3 discount on London Tube

Work with TFL to enable the 16-25 railcard to be used on the Monzo card. Currently you can link it to Oyster cards to get 1/3 off your tube fares, but no bank currently allows you to link to their contactless.

This would be a great addition, meaning I won’t need to carry around and top up my Oyster card all the time to get the 1/3 discount :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I have the same Railcard and totally agree that TfL need to get on this. :thumbsup:

Not sure if Monzo have any weight in this though, it’s entirely within TfL’s fare system and control. :disappointed:

6 Likes

Richard - has TFL moved on at all with this or is it at the same stage as earlier in the year? Would be an awesome feature if this were possible!

J

Be great if you could get network South east of too for us over 25 :wink:

Yeah adding a network rail card would be great

This will be done completely within the TfL Oyster/Contactless portal. First TfL are moving the Oyster over the Contactless charging system, so that some oddities where contactless can be cheaper than oyster for some journeys, due to the full week’s journeys and all combinations of tickets being taken account of. Part of that process has been releasing the new mobile app and allowing more flexible topups.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2016/dont-fear-beeper-bus-hopper-tickets-future-oyster/ suggests the full merging of the back office functions of Oyster and Contactless will happen in 2018. This will allow new things like an unlimited bus hopper fare for an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w95ULafeSY explains one of the common ways where contactless is cheaper, though that’ll change soon. Diamone Geezer has done a good summary of which kinds of journeys are cheaper: http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/the-same-fare-as-oyster.html

It would be interesting if they could manage to cater for other more complex railcards too such as the two together and family railcard, by agreeing for your accounts to be linked together, and getting cheaper travel on the journeys where you have travelled together.

3 Likes

Do we know if there’s been any news in this area since the last post (in 2017?)

It seems like information about this kinda stuff is rather dispersed and not too transparent – oh when TfL will you adopt a transparent timeline and clear blog like Monzo? :heart_eyes:

With the release of the 26-30 railcard today, would be awesome if it would be possible to link this with a card - has anyone heard any updates on this?

1 Like

TfL hasn’t said they’re doing anything in this area but they don’t always mention stuff up front so that’s not a conclusive no.

Apparently Santander can send out their Student Account Debit Cards with the travelcard already applied on them for the 16-25 cards, so it must be possible for a financial institution to work with TFL to link the two…

3 Likes

This would be marketleading then?
Sounds like a job for… Monzo! :muscle:

Do you have any more information about this? I’ve had a quick look on Santander’s website and couldn’t see a mention of it? (Very interested to find out how this would work, given the way that the ticketing system is set up currently)

Yes! They would be the first bank to do it and would win SO MUCH business

2 Likes

I don’t really - someone replied to me on twitter saying that Santander did it for them … along with the following link:

https://t.co/0BieJj22e8

Which doesn’t really say the railcard is linked to a debit card…so I am going off what someone has told me.

Just think that if TFL can apply the discount to a specific oyster card which I take it just has a unique ID in the RFID chip…then it can do the same for a card that has been linked to a TFL online account? I guess Monzo would just have to provide some information to link the two?

1 Like

This would be a great thing and good focus for the generally younger auidience that use Monzo

1 Like

Reposting from another similar thread about this: There’s a Twitter reply from TFL’s CTO here which implies that they’ve started working on railcards for Contactless. That was in June so hopefully they’ve made some progress by now!

4 Likes