Izettle, SumUp, PayPal Here & Square. What do you prefer?

Confirmed:

1 Like

As a customer I think the iZettleā€™s are the ones Iā€™ve seen the most, and while I like how they look and work in terms of speed and card acceptance, the one thing I absolutely hate is that all transitions are ā€œIZā€ branded - sorry but that is just useless information in my feed, Iā€™d rather have those 4 symbols to the merchantā€¦

1 Like

Square has the nicest software.

iZettle has the nicest hardware.

I have no experience with SumUp.

PayPal should be avoided for everything with a ten foot poleā€¦

Personally, Iā€™d go Square.

And now, seeing the crooks known as PayPal have bought iZettle; Square is a no-brainerā€¦ go Square any day!

2 Likes

Why should PayPal be avoided? Just curious as Iā€™ve never had issues with PayPal at all or from the PayPal Here reader?

Iā€™ve actually heard more scare stories about Square, random account closures, holding money for months on end etc. I have a Square reader, but have never used it because of those stories. PayPal Here has been very reliable although it has the highest fees.

2 Likes

Iā€™m referring more to PayPal in generalā€¦ Really nasty DCC, awful customer service, etc

One thing that puts me off square is the key pad isnā€™t built in. You have to hand over the phone or tablet for entry.

It seems great otherwise, itā€™s definitely one to consider.

Square in its home market doesnā€™t support PIN at all, so the reader was designed without PIN entry in mind.

I do agree that is a huge downside. And the chip slot on the back, Japanese-style. It was clearly meant for the US market where few cards have PIN priority and where people struggle to insert their own cards.

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting and makes sense as to why they made that decision, hopefully they will update the reader one day though.

1 Like

Out of curiosity (donā€™t know if anyone knows), with all these options do you get choose yourself if you accept contactless over Ā£30, or would that be up to the provider?

I canā€™t think of any reason youā€™d want to disable this, and it will be mandatory soon anyway.

3 Likes

I canā€™t think of any reason youā€™d want to disable this

If you wanna be an idiot like Tescoā€™s or Asda and push your own awful payment app called PreePayment* instead.

*if you know you know :joy:

2 Likes