Is someone spamming the community?

Yup, missing for me too on desktop. Weirder. The plot doth thickens!

Mobile, looking at the source code for the button it’s got lots of reactions one of them allows new users: when you get over a certain posts/likes/comments or change your picture the button will vanish

4 Likes

Interesting. if the button exists itself on the front end, perhaps it’s possible to go in an re-enable it locally on my machine. Curious to see what would happen if I were to then click it.

Before I decide whether or not I am to become a guinea pig. Are deleted accounts recoverable or…?

Huh, I’m sure it’ll be easier to just enable it for everyone? This kinda allows people to troll more

Pretty sure the reason you can’t delete after you’ve got a certain number of posts is because of the amount of resource discourse requires to delete your posts.

Also as I understand it anonymization (I might have just made up a word) is preferred because it keeps the integrity of the threads in tact

2 Likes

I’ve been hitting off topic on the ones I seen

1 Like

I’ve been flagging them as spam

1 Like

Yeah same spam or inappropriate

1 Like

I just did a test but when the account deleted it didn’t anonymise it.
Deleted the post and the comment on here automatically
The account was @test-test

2 Likes

I wonder what happened to the others then?

If and when accounts can be deleted depends what admin settings are set. Example:

1 Like

For anyone that can’t see the delete button, try changing themes. I’ve seen Discourse features work in one theme but not another.

1 Like

Just attempted it sadly no delete button but for some reason I got the welcome new user message

Hopefully a few more spam controls will get thrown in. Stop the children from playing.

1 Like

I actually made a post about requesting more stuff last week but the responses was all kinda negative to the idea so I removed it

1 Like

Are you the spammer, proving the point :thinking: nah joking :joy:

Think I recall seeing that post

1 Like

Ahah

Yeah I kinda said about a mobile verification or only one account per one ip or if you get banned it’ll ban your ip but everyone went absolutely crazy

The trouble with many of the suggestions on that thread was that they could be very easily be used in bad faith by some to silence criticism or remove those who say things that we don’t like, rather than being an actual solution to an actual problem. One comment (not one of yours I know) was made about including erroneous flagging in the CoC for example. That’s fine but who decides what is a true flag and what is a false one? It all starts to get very murky and, as the forum has always been tbh, done in the opposite sense to Monzo’s transparent values where things are out in the open. I’m not saying that there shouldn’t be more controls necessarily, just trying to show that where and how those controls are is a very difficult judgement, and one that is very easily misused. Better vetting of new accounts would have certainly stopped this issue today, so perhaps that should be where things are tightened. Making the first x comments of new accounts go through manual authorisation by staff perhaps, so they can’t comment until they are found to be legit.

3 Likes

I thought about that as I was actually typing as it makes perfect sense and probably the best option

1 Like

I think Revolut have always done that, I don’t visit that often as it always seems to be people from all over the world complaining about how bad Revolut are in pidgin English, but they definitely always used to. You had to earn the right to not have your comments moderated. Once you were trusted you could post freely but until then you had to wait for someone to authorise it, which can be a pain in itself sometimes. I thought Monzo had something similar at one stage, but seemingly not now.