Is "Frauded" a word?

6 Likes

One degree? My degree is English Language and Linguistics.

Two degrees? My degrees are English Language and Linguistics.

Source: I have O-Level grade B English Language.

Sorry, Dan. Couldn’t resist. I know it’s only a typo :joy:

3 Likes

Doh :man_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

This is exactly what I was trying to say earlier, but put far more eloquently. I couldn’t agree with you more @Peter_G!

You also make a good point that risking something being unclear in meaning is actually contrary to the tone of voice anyway. In fact, I would go so far as to say that clarity ought to be a defining principle above all else, especially in legal wording. If that makes it occasionally “unfriendly”, so be it - in my book, anyway.

(I also hear that the academy is especially upset about the widespread use of “le shampooing”, which is even worse as it manages to be a) not very French-sounding and b) grammatically awkward from an English perspective in using a noun as a verb!)

And on the topic of words, this is a very good one. I might have to add it to my lexicon and start using it - and then your efforts to get it into wider usage will live on!

1 Like

Sounds like the academy has been playing too much animal crossing with too many peppy villagers.

1 Like

The academy also has fits over a lot of French Canadian words. But In all fairness to Quebecers and Arcadians they were cut off from France for a couple of centuries so the language developed differently. Unlike in the Anglosphere where most people are generally aware of and understand words other English regions use, the French are generally oblivious (and often have subtitles on French Canadian movies) .

My favourite is always Un Char :smiley:

English in Canada is just as bad though. We use British spellings for the most part (although some spellings like Tire are used and some American companies don’t change their spellings on products in Canada) but ise/ize endings are a complete tossup (Ise generally preferred in academic settings and ize generally used in the media), sometimes you’ll even get both in one paragraph. Dates are even worse though, half the population uses dd/mm and half use mm/did so you never know what date someone actually meant to write.

2 Likes

I’m slightly surprised that Monzo have not chosen to be accredited by the Plain English Campaign given how much emphasis they put on plain English and their tone of voice as an organisation.

I can’t see frauded making it though their checks…

3 Likes

Good morning thats a nice Tnetennba :rofl:

1 Like

I think it’s all being blown out of proportion, I think a lay person would be able to understand what is meant by frauded and perhaps more intuitively than if defrauded was used.

To be murdered is to be the victim of murder.
To be frauded is to be the victim of fraud.

Should a bank be leading the charge for bringing about a new word? Who knows, but I think in this case the term is easily understood unless you are wilfully trying to be confused by it.
Sure it might sound awkward to some but I’d wager that’s more down to it being unfamiliar, so did “Try googling it” at first.

1 Like

If you use Twitter as a corpus and do a quick search for “frauded” it’s in fairly common use!

1 Like

“leading the charge” is probably the wrong thing to say then, I should have just said " be using".
The rest of my point still stands though :slight_smile:

Sorry - I wasn’t intending to disagree with you! I’m not quite awake yet :joy:

2 Likes

Ha no worries, I didn’t see at as confrontational, and it was quite good to know.

:joy: Isn’t this setting the bar low?

I would perhaps argue it’s the other way round, most people would have heard of defrauded, but not necessarily frauded, but could take a guess it’s something about being a victim of fraud.

I don’t like when the attempt to dumb down or use fewer words harms the understanding.

The language should be for the majority not just that generation.

Frauded sounds really street. As in.

:man_curly_haired: AHH Mann, I jus got frauded

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: so what you’re saying is you’ve been a victim of fraud?

Edit: Holy crap it’s not defined! Someone please make an entry and use Monzo as an example.

2 Likes

I think this could be said for either option.

With “ed” a the the end of a word being a more familiar occurrence in everyday language to denote something having already happened “frauded” would be the term that’s the most easy to understand by someone who isn’t familiar it either frauded or defrauded.

Ah man, I just got murdered

So what you’re saying is you’ve just been a victim of murder?

I don’t think that generation are demanding exclusive rights to the term.

:joy: that was my street example.

Everyone would use and understand murdered though that’s my point. The street equivalent wouldn’t use murdered but something else that people could guess meant killed. But you would use murdered if you wanted everyone to know without any ambiguity.

:man_curly_haired: oh sheet that guy just got iced

My point is that a new way of saying things always start somewhere though. You can’t gatekeep a language just because it sounds odd to your ear.

Why is murdered OK but frauded isn’t? Time and repetition is why.

But but iced isn’t a proper word, you should say you’ve been the victim of extreme cooling. :wink:

For what it’s worth I understand where you’re coming from, I just think the line being drawn is arbitrary.

Yeah but you could say a bank is not the time and place to start pushing new words on people.

Monzos mantra is to keep things as plain speaking as possible. That means using words that everyone can understand regardless of background or education.

So if you had to say murdered you wouldn’t switch it out to iced. Even if 95% of the customer demographics know exactly what is meant by iced.

Saying “defrauded”, or specific writing “a victim of fraud” removes any need to question :face_with_monocle: what is this frauded. I assume it’s a cool way of saying defrauded. That’s the first time I’ve seen that word. Must be what the kids are saying these days. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

This has been my anecdotal experience, hence my position.

It is…

Whether folk utter the word isn’t the point. The fact is - they just shouldn’t :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Frauded ?? I mean - really !!

2 Likes