Is "Frauded" a word?

Time stamp?

3 Likes

Don’t make me have to sit through both episodes again, just to find that bit :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

You’ve got to!

2 Likes

I’m doubting myself now and maybe it was defrauded, I’m off to check 🤦

1 Like

I don’t have BBC, otherwise I’d skim through too! So instead I downloaded the subtitles from open subtitles for both episodes. Used CMD+F and typed frauded. Here are the results:

Episode 5:

No results

Episode 6:

00:28:54,558 → 00:28:58,162
He says it’s to pay back
the people he’s defrauded.

Emphasis mine.

4 Likes

Sorry to say but it was defrauded, case reopened as to is “Frauded” a word :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I retract this statement.

4 Likes

Wait, you’re retracting a retraction?

5 Likes

I believe I’m detracting a traction.

(I think that’s right?)

2 Likes

Just make sure it doesn’t end up as a Fatal Attraction

3 Likes

My inner conspiracy theorist believes this whole kerfuffle began with a typo, and rather admit to it, someone decided to double down on it just to mess with us on here, and the whole thing just took off from there, and now we’re too far gone!

I logically can’t believe that the company willing to die on their sword for frauded is the same company on their high horse over the correct use of fewer and less. Rather than, you know, be in favour of the evolution of the meanings of these words so that language becomes easier and more inclusive!

More likely I suspect someone on the social media team just caught the covid episode of mythic quest and thought oh that’s good, I like that, I’ll use it to educate our twitter followers!

There’s a scene where one of the testers uses the word less, when they mean to use the word fewer, and there’s a little argument about it. Though in that context it’s singular vs plural

4 Likes

7 Likes

Did anyone ask Susie Dent? :thinking:

2 Likes

Someone tweet her!

If she says no, will you fix it in the app? :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t think it’s Alan we need to convince… :cry:

1 Like

I need convinced in general… :man_shrugging:

And a company that still has an almost completely inaccurate miniature ‘history’ of formal language in its tone of voice document.

Seems they mainly care about language when insisting they are right about something, so I support your theory!