Introducing Monzo Flex – a better way to pay later 🚀

Yes it will.

3 Likes

I’ve just bought some stuff online with mine and it identified it as a credit card.

1 Like

Yep it’ll show as a credit card

1 Like

Will it change from revolving credit to a CC on our credit reports too?

No

3 Likes

Nope (as @michaelw90 said)… A credit card is a type of ‘revolving credit’ like an overdraft… (line of credit that you can keep using once paid)

1 Like

To add to that. Unlike a credit card you can’t withdraw cash from it at all - as defined as the excluded transactions

Unless you’re @Carlo1460 and use Curve

3 Likes

Prob decline using physical, not testing that one though, think pushing my luck :upside_down_face::rofl:

1 Like

I tried. Yes it’s declined.

2 Likes

Did anyone try pay at pump yet? A comment here somewhere said they may relax the rules on that one.

1 Like

Not needed to fill up in ages! :sweat_smile: I’ll try it at some point!

1 Like

How is Flex’s section 75? Is support for transactions good here?

What do you even mean? Section 75 isn’t a product-specific thing, it applies equally across the board to transactions which fall in scope.

If it would apply to a purchase on a Barclaycard it would apply just the same to a purchase on Flex virtual/physical card.

1 Like

See here ^^

2 Likes

Ofc but just wanna see how monzo’s support is

just to add, S75 needs to use the virtual/physical flex card. It doesn’t cover ‘flexed’ transactions. They would fall under normal MasterCard rules.

4 Likes

@TheoGibson (@TomMills?) I have a question that’s come up on another thread today.

I was asking if I use my physical Flex card for a hotel deposit on arrival (which many hotels require, certainly internationally), but the hold takes up to 30 days to release, would I be charged for the first instalment while waiting for the funds to be released?

A hold, as opposed to a full transaction is nothing more than a promise to pay, the bank ringfencing the funds in the customer’s account to ensure they can’t be spent elsewhere in case the merchant comes back asking for the money.

As such, I have technically not spent a penny, and have, therefore not used credit. No credit use, no transaction, nothing to pay. At least that’s how it should work in theory and how it works across the industry.

Could you please clarify what happens with Flex?

If the first instalment becomes due even before the payment clears, what’s the basis for this? Is this something that was cleared by the Regulator? Is any info publicly available either from Monzo on how this works or from the Regulator on what the position is?

7 Likes

My guess is that you won’t owe anything as the transaction won’t have been presented, but interested in the proper answer…

1 Like

This really depends on how the merchant processes the transaction… It’s not as simple as “this transaction is a deposit hold”.

If the merchant sent through an auth hold of £100 then we’d treat the transaction the same as any other transaction - and you’d need to make a payment on your next payment date even if you were expecting to get a refund at a later date.

And as mentioned - the reason for this is that there’s no way to tell that that the auth hold is going to be refunded at a later date until you’re at the point in time in the future when it gets refunded.

2 Likes