Introducing Monzo Flex – a better way to pay later 🚀

On iOS here, just went from £1500 to £3000. Never know when it might come in handy……. In Disneyland Paris this week, after day one of three in parks, I think I might need flex to buy a lolly and a coke by day 3.

8 Likes

Flex from a Pot…

Does it treat it like a direct debit that shows it out and then does it? Or like a virtual card?

Before I do it, I want to know if it’s going to another thing that breaks my dashboard! @Lewis_P/@BritishLibrary have you tried it?

1 Like

Like a direct debit - it was confirmed earlier by @theogibson :slight_smile:

EDIT:

1 Like

haven’t tried it yet myself so can’t say for sure how it looks in the data export. If its treated like any other DD from a pot it should be fine. I think the interest on savings pots is the only thing breaking stuff for me atm. But that could be because I haven’t tried all of the plus/premium features out of fear that they will break stuff

1 Like

Looks like this in main feed.

And this in pot feed

2 Likes

Haven’t tried it yet either but I imagine from everything said it breaks the data feed no more than the current Flex does?

Also I’ve just seen I can increase my limit to £6k!

2 Likes

Can someone please offer some advice? :pray:

I Flexed a payment for a rental car - the total was £280.03, and this was made up of the actual charge of £127.34, and a refundable deposit of £150.32.

I selected the 3 month instalment plan so £94 was instantly paid back to the £280, leaving £186.03 remaining to be paid.

I then received my deposit refund in my main account, but it was not applied to the Flex transaction, so this amount has not been adjusted to show the true amount repayable (only £33.34, and not £186.03).

Monzo chat have been helpful, but have instructed me to use the £150 refunded to pay off the Flex transaction, and then pay the additional £33, and I’ve explained that surely I’d just be overpaying the retailer??

Does that seem right? Can anyone else make sense of this, as it’s hurting my head! :exploding_head:

Support is correct.

Im guessing you paid by debit card then flex? Refunds go to the method of payment you paid with, not to flex once you’ve moved it.

It would probably make more sense to you if you paid off flex to match the total amount you were refunded, so you’re not felt like you’re out of pocket. £94+the difference to total the refund.

Though doing this won’t amend next months payment, as any additional payments go off the end of the plan.

You’d have the £94 back in your bank account, and you’ve paid off the deposit amount from flex.

You’ve only paid them once, and moved the balance elsewhere.

4 Likes

Given £3k flex, more than enough tbh not as high limit as my CCs but a lower apr, only 9% and with the option to flex it with 0% makes it better than my CCs

But with high amount purchase, say a £3k purchase would mean £1k first payment…

Would Monzo consider giving us the option the first amount straight away or actually pay it off as it should be? Over 3 months, with the 1st payment in a months time…

The advertising for flex is pay over 3 months at 0%, but technically what Monzo are currently doing is not over 3 months but 2 months

Not really an issue for me as chances of me making a high amount purchase are slim, but for some, not paying the first amount straight away could be a deal breaker and could possibly end up having more people sign up for flex, as I see a lot of posts complaining about having to pay the first payment straight away, not just on this forum…

Well it’s still pay over 3 months.

Month 1 - the date of 1st payment, and then 2 more, so it’s still 3 months payments.

Also prevents any impulse buying I guess, so you’d have to think if you really needed it to pay up the initial month from the get go.

3 Likes

Payments are actually as advertised. If it puts people off been able to make a larger purchase because they don’t have the cash available for that 1st payment, that’s only a good thing in my eyes.

7 Likes

I only used £3k as an extreme example.

It is the same for even £150 flex which isn’t exactly a high amount, £50 will be taken straight away

If you went into a bank and got a loan for whatever amount, you wouldn’t be paying the first amount straight away

Like I said when we signed up for flex, we agreed to it, but like I said, not technically over 3 months. The third payment is taken on the 2nd month

1 Like

Well you do pay over 3 months. Just not 90 days as you’re used to.

To add:

“interest free over 3 instalments, or take more time with 6 and 12 instalments”

Nowhere mentions 3 months :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

A loan and Monzo BNPL are 2 different beast’s, there’s no comparison between them

2 Likes

I see that as a feature, not a bug. It makes me think if I can really afford the purchase, stops me from putting myself into trouble later down the line.

4 Likes

…as opposed to a £3000 payment?

And the point is?

Without flex, if you did not have £3k you would not be able to make that purchase, unless you have a CC with a high enough limit or overdraft.

With flex however, you only need £1k make that purchase. Making it more likely for people to actually purchase things they can not afford.

Not to mention £3k was an extreme example, that amount could be anything. The point of using an extreme amount was to make the 1st payment high. The actual purchase could be as little as £150, with the first payment being £50.

Flex makes it possible for you to actually get into debt, miss payments and ruin your credit history as opposed to not having flex. Why? Because without flex, you can not actually spend what you do not have in your Monzo account unless you have an overdraft.

1 Like

I genuinely don’t understand your argument here. Are you arguing people shouldn’t be allowed to have credit at all because they might get into debt?

And yes, I say ‘at all’ because your argument does not apply only to Flex. Credit cards also make it possible for people to get into debt, miss payments, and ruin their credit history.

Which is why Flex, like all credit products, has an application process where (among other things) risks are assessed and an appropriate amount of credit is given. Monzo wouldn’t give a £3k Flex limit to someone they thought was in grave danger of defaulting. Just like a credit card company wouldn’t give a high card limit in that situation.

And as I said, with Flex, the immediate first payment means you’re seeing the money go out straight away, so you’re aware there’s an actual cost. If you can’t afford that first payment, it’s going to stop you (in most cases) making the purchase at all. A credit card, on the other hand? Much easier to spend up to your limit ‘invisibly’ and get a terrible shock when the bill comes in.

7 Likes

No, original point was of flex taking the first payment straight away. I used £3k limit as an example.

That limit could be anything, they whole point was that the 1st payment was taken straight away, yet some decided to cling onto the £3k.

Being able to afford the 1st payment doesn’t mean you can afford the remaining 2 payments before starting to incur interest.

Not to mention, a £3k flex limit does not mean buying something that costs £3k. It could be over a number of purchases.

Just like a credit card, not everyone hits their limit in 1 purchase, many hit their limit over a period of time, even when they pay every month, just because they pay every month means nothing if they spend more than they pay.

Hence signing the credit agreement.

If it was as simple as saying don’t buy it if you can not afford it, then people would not be going into debt

Again, I don’t understand where the problem is here. It’s the same with a credit card, being able to pay off the first payment doesn’t mean you can afford the remaining payments.

I still don’t see how your argument is unique to Flex. You’re saying that all credit products are bad. But I can’t see how Flex is uniquely bad, or worse than a credit card. And I certainly can’t see how the first payment being taken straight away is an issue - the risk of people getting themselves into unaffordable situations is surely much higher if the first payment is taken later.

4 Likes