Introduce a BLM variant of the App icon

Is there any need to respond two months later in such a confrontational way? You directed a point to me that others had already made, and repeated, several times. It’s tiresome and circular, and it’s best we avoid circular discussions per the community guidelines. No one is stopping you from expressing yourself. But calling someone else’s point of view moot because of a concession they themselves made is not expressing yourself.

Monzo have very vocally supported BLM. Why is that not enough? Why is virtue signalling necessary? That doesn’t help anyone. Education does. Practicing anti-racism does.

At what point have Monzo said it’s politics?

Except it isn’t. It also demonstrates ignorance towards other injustices that have gone ignored for the very simple fact the virtue signalling won’t generate enough clicks, or good will. Again, I’ve outlined why I think that above, as have others. Please have a read through.

2 Likes

I answered that in the second post of this entire thread.

1 Like

I see what you’re doing. :smirk:

I think there is a distinction to be made though.

I’m asking their opinion on why they think it’s necessary. It may be different to yours. That’s not circular, it’s constructive, insightful, and moves the discussion forward.

Regurgitating the exact same point that’s already been made, without adding any elaboration as for why, in your opinion, you have that point of view, then it becomes circular and unnecessary because it results in people just repeating themselves over and over.

In my opinion, anyway :man_shrugging:

Not sure if I’ve missed something, but the Pride version of the app icon which you can select does now have a brown and blade stripe to it which I’m sure wasn’t always there?

You may wish to put your tin hat on now

That thread was very active

1 Like

Indeed… however the beast had already been awoken and I couldn’t see any mention of the update to the icon which I’m SURE wasn’t always there.

Because it looks odd against my black wallpaper now which I would have noticed before!

I agree with having a BLM flag icon. But can we please stop with the ‘who can be the most aggrieved minority group’ competition? It doesn’t help anyone to compare hypothetical “they’re treated better than us” discrimination.

5 Likes

There was nothing of the sort and you know that. You are gaslighting.

3 Likes

A “moderator” cannot just make decisions about such things, generally (because they have lives and aren’t here 24/7), they expect people to report content that is against the rules. If you feel a comment falls into that category, report it and let the process happen. :roll_eyes:

See now I find that offensive, as a member of the LGBTQ community.

5 Likes

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be. In fact us, members of the LGBT community have spoken out about virtue signalling by Monzo

3 Likes

Sorry! I didn’t realise that was a slur. Edited :slightly_frowning_face::+1:t4:

Can anyone who doesn’t wish to show their support for BLM just refrain from commenting?

This is about a feature for those who wish to show support and solidarity for BLM by changing their Icon. Not virtue signaling, which arguably the tweet Monzo sent out was, since no action followed.

If you don’t support the idea simply don’t vote and go on about your day.

2 Likes

Well, wow.

I’m sorry. Didn’t you just revive this thread to attack me for inhibiting others from expressing themselves? :roll_eyes::man_facepalming:

You do realise that is the very definition of virtue signalling, don’t you? If you truly care about this cause, there are so many better ways to spend time and resources being a good ally. Of course that takes considerable more effort than changing your app icon so people will think you’re a good person.

I have nothing more to contribute to this discussion, or the toxicity therein; I’m out.

6 Likes

Could you please name the people in this thread who are against BLM? No? Thought not.

3 Likes

And on the subject, a lot of us were against the recent LGBQT icon change/update.

4 Likes

I would absolutely love to see Monzo supporting the campaign for justice for Black people, and for an awareness of white privilege and its effects.

I don’t know how active Monzo is in these areas, but without doing that hard ground work that lasts long beyond Blackout Tuesday, a new app logo would be just virtue signalling.

I’ve seen so many brands changing their logo while treating Black staff in awful ways. To them, Black lives only matter when it comes to branding. I think Monzo is better than that, which may explain why there’s no BLM logo.

Interesting to see how many people will argue details in this chat about what progress, virtue signalling, tokenism etc all looks like, and yet repeatedly dismiss a black man giving his support for a BLM logo.

I’m not saying anyone or anything is immune to critique but surely if you’re such an ally to BLM that you’re in the comments on here, then should you not be upholding black voices above your own on a subject like this?

Geez.

3 Likes

Now this may be controversial – but I don’t think BLM means that we must just shut down open discussion and accept any one point of view. Especially on this part of the forum which exists for the purpose of debating and voting on new ideas. If we shut everyone down who isn’t fully in support of an idea (an icon and not BLM as an idea) then we have an echo chamber.

No one is dismissing the fellow forum member, simply expressing their views. If anything, I’ve seen more constructive contributions from other forum members than OP who only seeks to shut down others’ arguments and not engage.

I do believe there is inherent risk in encouraging a company to think changing their app icon is enough of a contribution to a cause. Especially if we say a tweet - which can actually generate discussion on an open platform - is less worthy than an app icon. This will lead companies to choose to only do token gestures and not show real support.

4 Likes

As much as I love F1 i think that is a really poor example in my opinion, as somebody who’s watched every FP, Qualifying and Race so far. The only reason they are at the point they are at is purely because of Lewis Hamilton. If he wasn’t in the sport there would be none of it. Up until the last 3 races it had been a complete farce, hell in the 2nd race in Austria they completely cut away from the live footage of the kneel(which only 13/20 drivers do). This sparked outrage and a lot of action from LH which is why we now have a prerecorded video and and a few second slot for the kneel.

Until there’s more action behind the scenes from F1 and Liberty Media, it’s nothing but just for show unfortunately.

1 Like

That was exactly why I chose them as an example. Their effort has been poor, but STILL leaps and bounds ahead of Monzo.

Monzo have hardly done anything. Something which I would expect from them, as a company which early on spoke out a lot about social justice.

But a BLM icon would solve all this? Something nobody is going to see anyway?

6 Likes