Internet/Data Usage of Monzo App

188MB since 11th October

Now I’ve reached the end of the queue & received my card, I’m just reporting back in about the requirement of Google Play Services:

It seems like Google Play Services isn’t needed, at least the app hasn’t crashed or misbehaved for me so far without it.
As expected, no notifications get received without PlaySvcs, so you have to pull-down in order to refresh the feed.

That said: The app WILL crash if microG is installed, so that’s a no-go.

Tested on a Moto G5 running LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2)

Maybe someone interested will run into this post one day, hopefully it helps someone.

1 Like

I’ve just had a look at my Monzo App data usage on Android and in the period 26 Nov - 25 Dec, it used a total of 697Kb (374Kb foreground, 322Kb background), 26 Oct - 25 Nov was 1.25Mb (402Kb and 882Kb)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

image Hi guys- looking at my data usage this month , Monzo has used over 500MB of data! Before anyone asks, I’m sue I reset my data counter a month ago. I’ve seen similar usage in previous months. Hope someone on the Monzo team can see this and comment on why this might be the case.

1 Like

Mines way lower, you been uploading images to transaction’s?

Screenshot_20181223-142937_Settings

That’s crazy, does it give you the time frame for that 538MB ?

My Nov was high usage for me and that’s 17MB. :thinking:

Screenshot_20181223-143040~2
Screenshot_20181223-143034~2

Are you sure that’s over the last month? My data hasn’t been reset since 2016 and it’s 866MB

image image

No uploads. This is for the iOS version in case it matters. Have had to log out and in a handful of times , figured it might have had to download merchant logos etc? Like I said though- it’s been fairly typical to see this over a month!

I don’t have all the historicals or that level of detail but I review it once a month on the day my data allowance renews. So timeline is 30 days.

Here are another few monthly screenshots I’ve taken- been meaning to come here for some time:

image image

I’ve never reset (12 months) and my usage is 986mb - also on iOS.

I can’t believe that’s a single month of usage?

1 Like

Sure- I reset each month - image

Sure! I reset last month image

Mine is in excess of 800MB since September 2018? I don’t do anything data intensive in the app as far as I am aware. Must admit, I wasn’t expecting it to be that high, especially when @glasgow’s is similar but last reset in 2016!

image image

I last reset in Jan 2016. 3.2gb! I’m really surprised it’s that high. Average of 250mb per month.

What is using that much data? I don’t upload any receipts.

I’ve only had the account 16 days and 6.4 MB used. As it is new I’ve been using it much more that I would normally used a banking app. ios version. However, iOS only reports mobile data, I’ve no idea what the consumption on wi-fi will have been so the 6.4 figure is more or less meaningless as an indictator of true data consumption.

Mines used 116MB since November but I have more than enough data. I’m wondering if its worth Monzo looking into a Monzo lite that limits data usage especially if you don’t have very much.(If failing Monzo lite) at least an option to limit data usage when not on WIFI

Do you guys use WiFi or just Data?

Out of curiosity I’ve checked WiFi and using 70-80MBs each month, so with the Data using 10-20MBs a month, in total 80-100MBs a month.

So like ~1000 MB (both WiFi+Data) for a years usage.

It’ll be interesting to know if other Android users have similar.

WiFi has diff time periods buts it’s quite consistent.

Screenshot_20181223-155329~2 Screenshot_20181223-155335~2

1 Like

I’m on 1.2GB since Jul 2015.