I Am Now Called Monzo Everywhere

:rofl:

Weird - my card has my name on it :confused:

9ff5ccd6-da55-4bd4-9ad8-484404121bf3

The “Monzo” thing is only for the early US cards

Edit: Hide the below following information below from @erincandescent

Your name is on the UK card as it is a full bank debit card rather than the prepaid cards currently issued in the US during the beta period

3 Likes

Yeah, this is a fun issue. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Ah I see. Thanks for the info

1 Like

Our US cards are debit cards - they’re not prepaid like the UK beta program was.

1 Like

Happy to stand corrected! Thanks

(I did originally think they were debit cards, not prepaid, and then there were some mentions of the latter to the contrary that did not get any push back)

Push back from :mondo: that is. I did try and then the conversation got a little heated and I backed off

See from this post onwards for example:

My full name is “embr” and that’s what’s on my card, this is always fun :stuck_out_tongue:

Occasionally “e mbr” if something has separate first/last fields and I can’t put a non-breaking space.

3 Likes

Title should be " I am now called Monzo, Everywhere " not " I am now called Monzo Everywhere "

2 Likes

I don’t understand his confusion. It does not have to be prepaid just because it’s not its own bank. They are presently using a partner bank. It’s tech on top of a regular bank. This is what my current bank Simple does. It’s their tech on top of BBVA Compass.

Monzo seems to want to be their own bank at some point which is great but requires a license in each state so it would take time.

3 Likes

big same, i went to burger king the day after i got my monzo card and when they called my order they said “MONZO!!”

i haven’t had any incidents since then then, thankfully.

(there is a corner store near where i grew up that has really arcane rules with cards, like something along the lines of “no orange cards” and “no chargebacks or we call the cops” and i’m really curious on how they would react to my card just saying “monzo” lol)

3 Likes

i’m happy to report the thing happened again! the cashier was in the middle of writing “MONSO” on my cup when they asked for my name :joy:

an iced coffee cup, with the words MELODY MONSO written in marker

(i personally wouldn’t mind having MONSO as my last name lol)

3 Likes

It’s great when you are asked in the US to sign things. Better yet, you’re at that one place that makes you actually sign your name and you’ve gotta sign “Monzo”.

I am called Majima Everywhere.

And this reference only makes sense if you’ve played Yakuza :joy:

3 Likes

It gets funny when it happens in Asia too. I have a friend who writes “See ID” on the back of his bank cards. In Taiwan, where they check the signature panel, he was made to sign those exact words everywhere he used it.

I always tell Starbucks my name is something that’s not my name all the time.
Last time I was Hiroyuki
I’ll try monzo next time I go, which is not often due to the price and how few there are in the UK.

If we’re going to be pedantic, I’d suggest it’s not, as you state, “I am now called Monzo, Everywhere”, but “I am now called Monzo, everywhere.”

I’m sure someone can find fault with my correction, though.

1 Like

I’d go with “I am now called Monzo everywhere.”

“I am now called Monzo, Everywhere” reads like you are talking to someone called Everywhere, and you’re telling them you are now called Monzo.

“I am now called Monzo Everywhere” reads like your first name is Monzo, and your second name is Everywhere.

3 Likes

I tried to use my monzo card at a bogeda last week and they asked for my ID. they ended up refusing my card b/c my legal name was not monzo :sweat_smile:

(and yes i’m aware they’re not supposed to ask for ID on card purchases)

1 Like