Housing market (renting and buying) šŸ“ˆ or šŸ“‰?

Wow.

Never heard this before, were they not flexible? Or is it a contracted thing but they never actually do it kinda thing?

If the money was right and place nice enough Iā€™d probably be ok with it, but Iā€™d want 3 months notice :joy:

Weā€™ve not had one in the 11ish months being here, it is managed by landlord, tenant sourced by agent and thatā€™s it.

We have never met the landlord, but have had a few bits done by his handy man so that was probably his check up.

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not but there is absolutely nothing you can do about it while they are still staying there.

Iā€™d suggest that eventually just build a relationship with your landlord and they wonā€™t need 3 monthly checks in the end. Chances are itā€™ll be an inconvenience to them too.

Once they see youā€™re taking care of the place theyā€™ll probably reduce that to a more reasonable amount.

Youā€™re going to have to manage your expectations on this. The nearā€“zero rates for over a decade were the blip, not the norm. Weā€™re back to where traditionally interest rates have always been.

2 Likes

Was that a short term let? I only ask because Iā€™ve seen and experienced that before when it was a six month term.

Either way, from experience Iā€™ve found if that by the first inspection the flat/house is as good as it should be (or better!) they donā€™t tend to bother too much with the one in three months time in terms of itā€™s a quick chat on the doorstep and thatā€™s that.

1 Like

Having never rented, I had no idea an inspection was common.

How intrusive are they? Are they checking everything? Or just making sure you donā€™t use the lounge floor for a toilet and then going on their way?

1 Like

For us it was a quick photo or two of each room, and a report to the landlord saying X in good condition, slight scuff marks on wall, etc.

They always gave us notice and we were also provided a copy so could challenge things if we disagreed.

2 Likes

Itā€™s there to protect both parties really. Unless you have the landlord from hell (which I have had one time) youā€™ll never really be bothered by it.

In the first instance, it was as @ndrw notes in that I got a call to say they just wanted to see how things were going and that they would come in on an agreed date. A few quick look arounds and they were on their way.

On the second one I found out an inspection had occurred because the landlord texted me to say he couldnā€™t get in because there was the key in the lock. (I suspected he had retained a key even though they are not meant to unless agreed in advance, and my method to prove this theory worked). You can imagine the call to the letting agency after that!

It helps both parties out. Them to make sure you havenā€™t taken any walls down (stranger things have happened, I know of a landlord who came in to find all interior walls had been taken down and replaced by props!) and to report things such as mould etc for them to fix.

3 Likes

So most lets Iā€™ve looked into are ones where they want the tenant for long term - I currently have a rented flat where I get a yearly inspection but due to COVID etc itā€™s barely happened.

Yeah I think they should inspect it once and then if itā€™s been kept in great condition they should accept theyā€™ve rented the flat to an adult and not a party animal.

2 Likes

So my experience is they walk around - take photos, ask if anything is broken and then leave. I think I might just charm them out the door because I want to get back to work ASAP.

The issue is some letting agencies will view the property when youā€™re out which isnā€™t a preferred option for me - kinda feels invasion of privacy etc.

You know you can change the locks right? I always changed the locks on my rentals, I had a lock I moved from place to place. As long as you put the original lock back before you leave, and your contract doesnā€™t explicitly state you canā€™t, itā€™s fine and normal to change the lock on move in, after all you donā€™t know who else may have keys

Yes, you have to be careful here though as a lot will explicitly say you canā€™t

Again itā€™s a sort of ā€˜be careful but not reallyā€™ because even if it said you canā€™t and you did, probably not much they could do. However, better not to breach your rental contract anyway.

Still none of mine ever said this.

Well, apart from breech your rental agreement and evict you I guess (or not, Iā€™m not a landlord expert)

They canā€™t evict you for that.

They could issue a discretionary section 8 notice for three months but thereā€™s pretty much no way possession would be ordered for that. Itā€™s not in the list of things that constitute a mandatory breach (like several late rental payments or antisocial behaviour).

Rental contracts are a funny one because unlike commercial contracts whatā€™s written in them is very much secondary to the underlying statutory relationship

edit: Iā€™m pointing out the likely legal situation, it is still better to just not break your contract to begin with!

2 Likes

My last place had inspections (and I honestly canā€™t remember how frequent they were!) but they seemed fairly reasonable. They were interested in the big stuff, like not turning the house into a crack den or subletting the rooms, and also how the house was being looked after, so looking for things like damp, mould, etc.

I lived in my last place for 7 years. I would say that we had a good relationship with the landlord (we got our deposit back in full, inspections were always uneventful, repairs and improvements always done without a fuss) but the inspections continued. I suspect that was down to the fact that the let was managed through an agent, and it was in the agentsā€™ interests to keep taking the landlordā€™s money for the inspection work.

3 Likes

I suspect this too - as in itā€™s an optional extra service landlords can pay the LA for.

2 Likes

The thing here is that once you get into these realms, I wouldnā€™t want to be living where I had that relationship with my landlord.

I have always rented, and I have always taken a common sense approach - yes I probably have rights that I havenā€™t pushed forward (I have had a landlord who used to text for an inspection on the morning of which was inconvenient but if I was in the flat I always said yes) but in return landlords have almost always trusted me and left me to my own devices. Building a relationship that isnā€™t based on technicalities of a contract has always worked for me.

Right now, for example, we have been out of our apartment since Oct 25 staying in hotels because of a water/power issue affecting our whole development. Our landlord is paying for our hotels each night and Ā£100 in food daily for me and my partner. Yet the others in our apartment block are arguing over the tenancy agreement about 24 hours access notice because before we can go back the fire alarms need to be signed off by the London Fire Brigade and they gave us less than 24 hours notice to enter the flats (even though we arenā€™t there). People are also complaining that they are still charging rent.

I then pointed out that in our tenancy agreement it is true that we do not pay rent if the apartments are not habitable - but they do not have to provide any expenses or further accommodation in lieu of this. I have absolutely spent more money on hotels/food that I have got back than I would if I didnā€™t pay rent.

TLDR: sometimes not pissing each other off works better long term.

8 Likes

Fair play Ā£100 a day seems quite generous, but I bet youā€™re getting sick of takeaways!

2 Likes

I feel like you maybe clipped off the bottom of my post where I said the same thing :sweat_smile:. But yes I agree, itā€™s a relationship and you are always best just not to break your contract.

I still think people can and should change the locks if their contract doesnā€™t say you canā€™t, again I think thatā€™s normal and reasonable.

1 Like