House prices - are they worth it?

So those that own houses there will be happy and those that rent may see an increase if the landlord wants to or hasn’t tied them into a contract.

When renting do you not get any details, such as a survey of the area? For example, if I was buying I’d know that there was a huge chunk of Government owned land nearby and I would be able to see if there was any proposed plans?

Give me a second I can go ask about renting.

"I’m not super clued up on property but don’t they have stamp duty and all sorts of other costs that they need to pay after the sale of their first property? "

they do , but that has only recently changed to a sliding scale to try and discourage property speculation - or maybe just to raise more tax :slight_smile: ( past 5-10 years ? ) , as others have said before though if people were discouraged from "trading " property to “move up the housing ladder” wouldn’t that stabilise house prices, which would then discourage property speculation with them being left empty by investors ?

1 Like

No is the answer. You get an EPC and that’s it.

1 Like

Enforcement of housing standards/people knowing their property Rights. Would massively help the renting market.(that’s a whole nother thread)
On property prices, I genuinely can’t wait if property prices fall as they’re massively overpriced and some houses stay empty and on the market for ever

Yeah I guess. I think the area of the country that you live in plays a huge part in it too.

I remember watching a documentary that stated a huge proportion of houses in London are owned by wealthy foreigners who leave them empty and in ruin. They do this for a variety of reasons, none of those that benefit this country or those that live and work there.

1 Like

Have you seen the council that sold off family houses for £1?

That would never happen where I live!

1 Like

The council houses were derelict so they would require a lot of investment to make them fit for purpose

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen this happen in a few places.

I’ve seen similar done with listed buildings and mansions too that need a lot of work to make them habitable.

1 Like

Would have been nice to get a roof over your head especially homeless people. Then do it up and make it into your home. People were still living on the street in the area that those houses were being sold.

I would love to do that with my future house to be honest. Make it my home and exactly how I would want it.

1 Like

I can’t find it but there is a statistic about house prices vs salary with increases. I can’t remember the exact number but it something like house prices have gone up 800% while wages 80% since the 80’s (If someone has a source or the correct numbers will edit this)

1 Like

I’d like to do this to a certain extent but I’ve seen programs like ‘Building the Dream’ where they often get overwhelmed with decisions and because of the amount of work that needs doing, a lot can go wrong along the way :grimacing:

Sadly though, for me and many others, this can only be achieved with a huge amount of savings or if you end up with lots of equity in your property :cry:

Ah yeah savings…

I am only young so I am actually not moving at least till after university.
However, I hope I can do a house up but I do get the idea of feeling overwhelmed.

That’s what I did.

I got my degree, found myself a job and then started saving. By the time you’ve finished your degree the housing market might have improved :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Nobody is forced. They have choices. If someone doesn’t earn enough to save to buy a house then that is there issue.

Landlords are heavily taxed and it’s a common misconception that they drive prices up.

Most property developers/landlords want under market value property.

It is the buyers looking to reside driving prices up with basic economics of supply and demand.

I wish I had a pound for ever bitter person that I meet that cannot afford to buy. The remedy is simple get a better job. Owning a home is a luxury and not a right.

if only it was that simple everybody would do it - earn more money, get a better paid job :slight_smile: but then the price would rise by your supply and demand scenario wouldn’t it and so you start again - unaffordability and “bitter” people because the landlord / builder / developer can - and generally, does charge more - they after all are generally in it to make money as opposed to altruism - vicious circle :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s a cruel world.

I have always wanted a nice yacht down on sandbanks harbour but the boat builders all charge too much.

They really should be cheaper so I can afford one. Problem is the market will pay more than me.

Welcome to economics my friend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As my dad used to say to me - To think that life is fair is a sign of immaturity :slight_smile:

so not really a choice then - if you cannot get a higher paid job and the price of the property is beyond your means you can do nothing about it - no choice

so really the market is broken ?? if investors can come in to the market and out bid locals for housing that they will keep empty and because there is limited supply the price goes up - you now need to find an even better job :slight_smile:

1 Like

There You go again your assuming investors outbid locals.

The market isn’t broken. People’s mentalities are.

If you want to buy a house the save harder, strive to get a better job. Do what you say is impossible. Your destiny is in your hands.

To say the market is broken is frankly farcical.

If after all the above that person still can’t afford to buy a house then that’s their problem not the world’s.

It’s like saying Mercedes should reduce their prices so everyone can have one. Daft.