Help us test setting a default plan for Flex 👀

Yep!

4 Likes

We haven’t started rolling this one out yet - @dinosm was one of the lucky ones that got it early when we rolled out to a small % of customers.

Sorry we missed you off change payment date
 we haven’t had much luck on that one. I’ll see what I can do!

4 Likes

I got it today

4 Likes

Would be cool if Monzo did competing offers such as interest free for 12 months / 18 months on purchases. I hope this is indeed a plan for the future.

2 Likes

They did this over Christmas by having a 6 months interest free offer. I imagine they’ll explore it and other offers in the future too.

8 Likes

Got the email and finally set the default plan

1 Like

The fallacy @TomMills post makes, is what the upvoted comment addresses. Credit cards offer interest free payment options upto their maximum timeframe (which for most is upto 56 days). Monzo maximum interest free payment timeframe today is 3 months (outside of promos) and yet not available automatically. Thus the Monzo’s default is closer to half the maximum timeframe available, which in average credit cards would translate to payments every two weeks which they don’t do.

So imho, it is an improvement, but it is incomplete.

1 Like

This feels a lot like when Monzo promoted itself as an overseas travel card before swiftly getting rinsed by everyone and anyone and their nan going abroad.

With these things where they’ve accidentally given customers a shiny thing that is losing them money- first there is silence while they look at the data and hold their hands on their heads, then a polite request to change your behaviour (in this case it’s introducing pay in 1 and making pay in 3 slightly hidden) , then a tap on the shoulder (in this case it’s defaulting to either pay in 1 or loads of interest as the only frictionless options), then finally when that still doesn’t work they wrestle you to the ground and take the shiny thing away from you and blame you for abusing it (awaiting this assault whilst I’m cradling Monzo’s £1500 stoozed cash).

@TomMills I appreciate you laying your cards on the table for us to understand why pay in 3 is being hidden.

If it was up to me I would just cut off the infected limb now before it gets any worse. Make pay in 3 free for premium users only where losing ÂŁ32 a year on a ÂŁ1000 flex balance might be offset by extra subscribers. Everyone else can pay in one or pay loads of interest. The only complaints you will get will be a few super users who got used to having a really long interest free period.

Don’t just keep trying to hide the loss leading option that is losing money because by hiding it you are going against the Monzo ethos of ‘making money work for you’, because if it is encouraging you to pick the second best option for you then it’s not working for you, it’s working for someone else.

4 Likes

Yeah absolutely do not do this lol.

10 Likes

We don’t know it’s loss-leading though.

Credit card companies as you point out happily let you pay no interest on a max of 56 days, they sure as shit are not losing money. They know people will keep a balance, that’s why they happily let you transfer to them for 12/18/24/30 months interest free.

Maybe it’s all the clamour from people who want Flex to act exactly like a credit card and pay it all off at the end of the month that has lead them to adding this first? And obviously added on their own way to make extra money, maybe many people are choosing 12 months.

I don’t use Flex to buy my lunch or a haircut or a newspaper, so the “zOMG it takes aaaaages to press some buttons and choose a plan” doesn’t really bother me, so I’ll just continue on my merry way selecting 3 months each time.

I have no idea on how this was added and the tech behind it and I’m always loathe to say “Just do this
” because I know it’s never that simple, but suuuuurely it can’t have been that much extra work to add the four options from the get go?

Maybe the analysis tells them that only a small amount of people are choosing 3 months and this best serves their customers. But I doubt it.

Making 3 months a paid feature would be terrible though!

7 Likes

This will be amazing!

I’m almost certain I filled out the form, but I don’t seem to have the ability to set a default yet! No email etc
 :thinking: anyone else?

4 Likes

The deadline was 5pm yesterday.

Patience GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

6 Likes

Only mentioned it because I saw loads of others got the feature :grimacing:

1 Like

Should be this week at some point hopefully. :crossed_fingers:t3:

2 Likes

I got this last week without signing up and was wondering why
 I think it’s cos I’ve got the physical card?

I don’t have the change payment date option though as I haven’t had chance to pop here as of late and missed out. Not that I need to change it cos it’s already set to payday
 lol

With regards to this, I’ve set it to “minimum payment” but have yet to use my card as I don’t use it for everyday spending.

Didn’t Theo lay out the sums on the table the other day demonstrating how Monzo lose money on the pay in three?

Hang on

Here:

1 Like

I meant overall. Do they make more in interest from people who select 6/12 months make them more than 3 months cost them.

I would guess not or I don’t think they’d be rolling it out further. Especially with free cards for everyone!

2 Likes

Hmm I closed my flex as it wasn’t showing on my credit report and the transactions never stated where I made the purchase. Just an amount i had flexed. It’s a great concept though and great Monzo have addressed a few of the issues people were having.

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s not connected as many of us here got the card day one and don’t have the default payment option yet.