Guess the upcoming feature šŸ‘€ (Spoiler: Bulk Recategorisation)

I did before I posted, and nada :cry:.

1 Like

Looks like its built around the idea of ā€˜picking a merchantā€™ and then mass applying the category to other transactions from that merchant. So Iā€™m not sure how that would work for pot transfers. How would you like it to behave? All pot transfers to and from your a certain pot to be categorised a certain way? Theyā€™re usually categorised as ā€˜Transfersā€™ right?

My ifttt transfers to my coin far are categorised as Transfers.

My roundups that go to my coin jar are categorised as Savings.

I need to change one or other of them!

1 Like

Tried that here tooā€¦ definitely not available yet for me. Iā€™ve raised to Monzo via Twitter, said engineers have confirmed itā€™s been rolled out to everyone now. Raised via chat now, see where this goā€™sā€¦if I ever get a response :smile:

1 Like

Letā€™s check in on our cats:

• My cat is dead (I donā€™t have the functionality)
  • My cat is misbehaving (I think Iā€™ve got it but it kinda doesnā€™t work properly)
  • I have my cat. I love my cat. Cats ftw. (Iā€™ve the functionality and all is groovy).

0 voters

Yeah seems Iā€™ve got it now, but never received a carousel notification either!

1 Like

I donā€™t get anything these days :frowning:

Iā€™m not sure if I need to do more or less photoshops :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Just had the notification! :grin: maybe someoneā€™s tweaked something

Edit - working now here :+1:t2:

1 Like

I think thereā€™s an inverse correlation with forum activity. I am never a chosen one. :cry:

4 Likes

Thank you for the feedback @Peter_G, and Iā€™m sorry that this feature hasnā€™t fully lived up to your expectations. Feedback like this is super useful in helping us learn where we should invest time to improve, so please keep the feedback coming!

This is the expected functionality with respect to pot transfers. Weā€™ve tried to make sure that weā€™ve set the right expectations in regards to what kind of transactions are eligible for use with bulk recategorisation, so apologies if this is unclear!

We group transactions based on their associated merchants, so all transactions that have a merchant associated with them are eligible for use with bulk recategorisation. Anything without a merchant (faster payments, peer to peer, etc) arenā€™t eligible at the moment unfortunately.

4 Likes

That explaints it for me. Thanks @ryanskidmore
Other than Peer to Peer & Faster Payments most of my transactions categorise themselves correctly with the default categories so i never need to change them around. It just tends to be some of my Direct Debits i need to change as not all Direct Debits are bills i have seperate categories for them :slight_smile:

Weā€™re rolling this out to everyone who is on a supported app version, but there might be a delay between updating the app and having access to the feature. If you havenā€™t got access to the feature yet, make sure youā€™re on a supported app version and youā€™ll get a carousel message as soon as you have access.

No message for me, however, the feature is there. Used it few moments ago.

Monzo Beta

2 Likes

Yay, I have this now too. Got the message also.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

1 Like

Okay so had a few weeks of real use with this now, and I think itā€™s fixed a lot of stuff, but I have one (I think) larger piece of feedback and one fairly minor @ryanskidmore.

Larger Issue - Multi-faceted Merchants

• Sorry, Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a better way to describe this. But the merchants Iā€™m thinking of here are e.g. Amazon, eBay, Etsy, and even department stores maybe.
  • Nearly every single thing I buy from one of these retailers is a different category for me. Could be Tech, Clothes, Presents, Furniture, Booksā€¦ (you get it)
  • Previously, I would click into every transaction after making it and assign a category.
  • Now, this takes an additional click/decision every single time where I have to choose one of the options.
  • And I know this is small (one more click), but it feels worse to me because itā€™s entirely pointless. I could click ā€˜just this transactionā€™ or ā€˜all going forwardā€™ and it wouldnā€™t make a difference, because Iā€™d have to do the exact same thing all over again next time I purchase from one of these merchants.

So, I realise this is probably a ridiculous request in terms of cost/benefit, but I guess my proposed/requested solution is some way to mark a merchant as ā€˜donā€™t offer to bulk recategorise againā€™?

Minor One - All Transactions Going Forward Behaviour

• This is one which I donā€™t know I have a strong view on, but wanted to raise and maybe see what others think.
  • I was out for a friendā€™s birthday last night at a place I hadnā€™t been before. I paid for entry on the door, and then bought some drinks inside.
  • Later in the evening, I put the first transaction on the door in my tickets category. I then clicked on the second transaction Iā€™d made, which was also the first drink Iā€™d bought, and categorised this as ā€˜pub/barā€™ and chose ā€˜all transactions going forwardā€™.
  • Now, I didnā€™t know for sure what this would do to the 2/3 transactions Iā€™d made after this one, but I had hoped that it would change them as well.
  • It did not change them (obviously given Iā€™m here writing this). And I can understand this on the basis that they had already been made as far as Monzo is concerned.
    *But they werenā€™t in any way ā€˜futureā€™ transactions to me, and the wording of ā€˜going forwardā€™ would suggest to me that I am choosing a point in time in my feed from which this will apply, and these transactions were very much past that point.
  • So I did think there was a possibility this would work, and I would have been very happy if it had.

In summary, my thinking here is that if Iā€™m choosing to categorise spend at a merchant from a certain point going forward, I would want that to take effect from said transaction, even if I have already made some more before I got around to doing the categorisation in the app.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.