Guess the feature coming next week šŸ‘€ (REVEALED: Set contactless limits to levels you're comfortable with)

Not all of us have heardā€¦ :joy:

:eyes: Labs

16 Likes

I like that youā€™ve actually called it, ā€œCap what you Tapā€ :smiley:

7 Likes

Interesting that if you set Ā£0 contactless will be disabled.

Killed two birds with one stone with this feature. Some people have been asking for the option to disable contactless also

17 Likes

That was painless

Nice

4 Likes

Turned it on, went to limits page but the ā€˜learn moreā€™ button on that page doesnā€™t work (on either the single tap or contactless until PIN entry pages)

That will link to the blog post when we launch the feature fully. We had planned to launch it fully today but we found a bug last week (if you donā€™t change anything but hit save anyway on iOS it crashes) so have delayed full launch until the fix for that has rolled out.

We didnā€™t want to leave the community waiting though so decided to launch to labs.

21 Likes

It works for me. Tapping on ā€˜Learn moreā€™ takes you to: https://monzo.com/blog/youll-be-able-to-make-contactless-payments-up-to-gbp100-to-make-paying-more

EDIT: I like the sliders - very nice!

7 Likes

Does that disable Apple Pay too?

This is only regarding your card taps (not APay/GPay taps) according to the blog - ā€œIf you use Apple Pay or Google Pay, nothing will change. You can still pay for transactions without any of these limits.ā€

But itā€™s a good question!

Whoā€™s up for the embarrassing test at the till?

5 Likes

Awesome! Youā€™d be surprised how many banks combine the two things in their controls!

So on that note. Contactless = Ā£0. TYVM Monzo.

Edit: follow up question: if/when you turn it back on when you need, will it require a pin first to be activated?

Asking because now Iā€™ve enabled it, setting it to 0 also sets until pin entry to 0 as well.

Think Iā€™ve answered this myself by playing with it. Should just work in a pinch without needing to do anything when I turn it on. Sliding the until pin entry back to Ā£200 shows my limit as Ā£200/Ā£200.

I probably should do this too as there is very rarely a scenario where I can use contactless but not ApplePay.

But still 95% of the time, I reach for my card and tap with that.

1 Like

You amazing people, you. :hot_coral_heart:

12 Likes

Yep ā€“ we ask you to enter your PIN in the app whenever you change your limits. Itā€™s a way of stopping someone (or yourself) from overriding the limits too easily.

I think thatā€™s what youā€™re asking? Let me know if not.

5 Likes

More referring to the card terminal at checkouts.

My thinking was, by turning contactless off by setting it to 0, it sets the ā€œuntil pin entryā€ limit to 0 as well.

So was wondering if, when I turn contactless on, My first payment will require chip and pin to restore the Ā£200 limit before asking for the pin again.

2 Likes

When I did this the app crashed. I submitted the feedback request though not sure if actually have to type something as well or you get the full crash info automatically

This isnā€™t the bug I described earlier is it?

but we found a bug last week (if you donā€™t change anything but hit save anyway on iOS it crashes)

If so, weā€™re aware and thatā€™s the reason weā€™ve only launched to labs today.

4 Likes

Caveat: Iā€™m 90% sure this is how it works but payments is complex so you can never be quite sure there isnā€™t some other system that will alter things :see_no_evil:.

We store two things:

• The limit
  • How much youā€™ve accumulated of that limit

Then when we authorise a transaction we compare the two.

So, this means that if you set the limit to Ā£0 and then set it back to Ā£100 that should be fine ā€“ you shouldnā€™t be prompted for chip & pin on next transaction just because you temporarily changed it.

5 Likes

Dark mode :eyes::eyes:

6 Likes

Sorry, yeah thatā€™s correct :sweat_smile: